Ribs on OR Ribs Off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdillard

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2013
Lake Mary Florida
Guys n Gals! Cookin up two 6 Rib Primes for a my Chrismas Crowd today. Cooking on XLBGE... in the past I've always done the PR's boneless. Been reading some articles.... indicated Bones on gives better flavor and bone are heat conductors.... Love to hear your thoughts!!

Last edited:
I always leave the bones on.

Sometimes the butcher will take them off & tie them back on.

This way is OK, but not as good as leaving the bones intact.

Just my 2 cents.

Al

Yup... that's what I here. Pulled them off ... seasoned and retired to the bones. Thanks for the quick response!! Merry Christmas! Got to turn the Pool Heater on for the Grands!

I slice down the ribs leaving only an 1/4 of an inch or so attached. Season, tie, cook it up.  One quick cut and the bones come off and you are ready to slice.

Last edited:
Ribs on = Pitmasters treat that night. Just a note. Bones are insulators...Think of a grilled steak. The bulk is med/rare, the meat next to the bone is rare or raw. On a rib roast,the surface is well done but meat under bones is the same Doneness as the center... JJ

Guys n Gals! Cookin up two 6 Rib Primes for a my Chrismas Crowd today. Cooking on XLBGE... in the past I've always done the PR's boneless. Been reading some articles.... indicated Bones on gives better flavor and bone are heat conductors.... Love to hear your thoughts!!
Bone has that marrow..,,,THATS WHERE THE FLAVOR IS,,,,that's why dogs like them too. hehe

HT

Quick update.... The Queen says: BEST EVER .... That's high praise in my space. But a couple of things I noted. These were large on gross tonnage... 15.3 and 13.3 before I trimmed some excess fat cap and retired. Cook at 230 degrees in the XLBGE. Both done under 4 hours which was a bit of shock for me starting with a core temp of 51 degrees. But I've always cooked bone off before. These guys actually sit about 2 inches higher in the BGE on their racks. Temps are higher in the dome.... think this may have decreased the cook time to 125.... anyway the Queen is happy... Happy Queen... Happy Life.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky