Rib of choice and why ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigTurtle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
What are your pork ribs of choice and why do you prefer one over the other please ? I have my favorite but want your input with reasoning.

I prefer spares (St. Louis or full). depends on price. I will eat some baby backs, but to me there is a textural difference between the two and we prefer the spares. could by my lack of cooking BBs but they always seem to be just a tad chewier if that makes sense.

I normally do baby backs, but have St. Louis racks on now. I’ll let you know after we eat later.

Generally, the baby backs seem to have more meat around here, and cook quicker.

Reactions: BigTurtle
Spares.
Whole racks, because it doesn’t make any sense to pay someone to cut off the tips and keep them for themselves.

Baby backs cost a lot more and are generally cut with a bunch of loin attached which has so little intramuscular fat that it’s very difficult to keep it moist while cooking the intercostal muscle to an adequate tenderness.

Last edited:
Full Racks only. We need 2 racks for a meal. With me cutting and removing the cartilage from the tip meat. We get a third meal from the Bonless Tips. Made into Char Siu, Pork Fajitas or Stir Fry, we often enjoy theses more than the ribs. With Full Racks being the least expersive, we get the best value here as well...JJ

I do both. I prefer Baby Backs but.........I've done whole rack spare ribs too.
IMG_20190406_234143_644.jpg

The bite resistance is important in the judging at KCBS events.

When I competed, I started ribs at 20 to 30 minute intervals to try and get that prefect rib for submission. Shame that I had to eat the rest.

I'm a full spare rib guy. They're cheaper than BBs, more forgiving, and the fat adds flavor and texture we enjoy.

Comparing to another cut of meat, spares are like the point on a brisket; BBs are like the flat. They're both delicious, each in their own way, but I like the texture and flavor of the fatter cut.

If I could get decent beef ribs in my area, they'd be on top, but alas, I'd have to mortgage the house to get the beef ribs I love.

If I could get decent beef ribs in my area, they'd be on top, but alas, I'd have to mortgage the house to get the beef ribs I love.
Used to work a lot in Atlanta area ... Community Q would have first come first served beef ribs, always ran out before I could get there ... never got any ... :emoji_disappointed:

Depends on many factors really. Who are you cooking for, friends/family, catering, budget, or comps? Budget plays a large role as well. Personally, for family and friends I use all natural spares but broken down to St. Louis. I normally take the tips and make pork burnt ends. Works wonders for friends and family.

Depends on many factors really. Who are you cooking for, friends/family, catering, budget, or comps? Budget plays a large role as well. Personally, for family and friends I use all natural spares but broken down to St. Louis. I normally take the tips and make pork burnt ends. Works wonders for friends and family.
Agreed. Neighbors get St. Louis that I cut.

If I had to pick just 1 it would be country style ,I know I know not really a rib but close enuf to make me happy lmao

Used to work a lot in Atlanta area ... Community Q would have first come first served beef ribs, always ran out before I could get there ... never got any ... :emoji_disappointed:
I've never ever done beef ribs on any of my equipment. I just can't find them meaty enough.

Reactions: fivetricks
I like spares bigger, most forgiving I think. Wife prefers baby backs. As others have said I'll smoke any of them and I'll watch for sales and buy whatever is on sale and put some in the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky