Rib membrane vent

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hree ya go Jeff. Sure looks quick and easy !
I have also seen folks use catfish skinning plyers

Keith

Quick rage post lol. I would do ribs far more often if it weren't for the membranes. I worked at a few racks of back ribs forever and couldn't remove much of the membrane at all. I use the butter knife under the membrane and a paper towel to grip etc. I have had racks where it comes off like a glove and these where I just friggin gave up. I know Al does then membrane on and burns it off at the end on a screaming hot grill. Not sure I have time for all that. I may try to pull the membrane before saucing once they've cooked for a few hours. Truly drives me nuts and has me constantly skipping over ribs to skip the frustration. Vent over lol.
I give it one shot then I just say "FI"
I find it varies from slab to slab. BB's seem easier. The last on sale Swift St Louis I got were damn near impossible. still tasted fine.
ribs 1 2024.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
I always found that using a butter knife to scrape a little of the rib membrane free and then using a paper towel to grab the membrane, makes it pretty easy to remove most of it.

Though I don't fool with it these days because it comes off so easily with naked smoked ribs when it comes out of the smoker (and I pull the bones out lol) that I no longer need to use that method.

Also I believe SmokinAl SmokinAl is right. The membrane helps keep juices and fats in and results in better ribs so another bonus for leaving it on until the end :)

I pull membrane from middle of rack. Once you get started, it is easy to lift from the middle and get the whole thing off. I also like my ribs to have the meat still on the bones so the bones don't pull out.

There are TWO membranes on ribs.
There is a thick membrane that is moderately easy to pull and a thin membrane that will pull but leaves shiners when you do pull it.
Those of you who are having trouble pulling Costco rib membranes may well be trying to pull the second membrane. That 2nd membrane can be a B*&^%.

For those of you who haven't tried the original mechanical membrane remover go to Wally Mart and buy yourself a set of catfish skinning pliers. Start as usual with a butter knife and then switch over to the catfish pliers.
Catfish pliers also work well for their original purpose should you ever go fishing.

Back ribs generally skin easier than spares. That's one of the reasons I normally cook loin back ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky