Remote thermometers: standalone device or phone app?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Look for an option that has a wifi connected base station. I use a flame boss 300 smoke controller - primarily for my BGE. 3 probes and a pit probe. It connects to wifi. I'm never out of range as long as I have internet. It can connect to a hotspot as well if you take it on the road. The primary use is to control airflow in the pit w/ temp activated fans so I wouldn't use it on a stick burner but the concept stays the same. Get a wifi remote temp probe setup if connectivity is an issue. Thermoworks makes one. Tappecue, maverick, thermopro, etc.

Wifi does seem like a much better option but for the amount of times I would use it, those are way too pricey. Around $50 or so is more in the range for me.

I was looking for a thermometer as well and notice Inkbird has a WiFi model for $100. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you like this better than the RF model?

Last edited:
I was looking for a thermometer as well and notice Inkbird has a WiFi model for $100. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you like this better than the RF model?

This is exactly the question I have been researching!

WI-FI would give me the best range for sure, and bonus points for having it cloud enabled. From what I've read it seems this also addresses the history issue people have with the bluetooth models. The biggest drawback that I see for this model though is that I feel like i'd miss having a dedicated device for temp alarms. Something about having to rely on the app and my phone makes me a bit nervous.

Are people happy with the RF model? It looks excellent in terms of range and as long as I don't care about the graphs it might be a better choice. Problem is I'm a geek and the graphs seem like they'd be fun - and maybe someday useful depending on how "all in" i go here. My biggest worry about this unit is the actual range I'd see - especially indoors. My house can have some pretty spotty wireless coverage... where my smoker sits outside the bluetooth range on my MES 40 is only about 25 ft if the door is closed!

Any thoughts appreciated here. And, if the InkBird folks are listening - I'd be happy to review and report my findings with any or all of these models! :emoji_wink:

I love the igrill. Range isn't amazing, but that doesn't bother me.
Agreed. Have igrill 3 on my gasser. Since I already have the app, I just ordered igrill 2 for my smoker. Accurate. I haven't had any connect ability or range issues at all.

I hear you. Graphs and stuff on the phone seem cool and your phone is always with you, but I wonder if it will be easier to just have a separate device. But then again, that is another device to carry around. The igrill3 seems convenient in that it would just stay attached to the grill all the time, but for the price, other stuff seems a lot better. Why is this such a touch decision?!?! LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky