ThermoWorks Signals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Decided to give myself a Signals for Christmas.
I had downloaded the app to my phone, but never started the setup.
Didn't have a need for it until this weekend. Yesterday (Sat 3 Feb) I started the setup. Everything went fine until the message for a firmware update. 1-1/2 hour later still the wheel of death on the phone and the Signals unit was not responsive. Gave up and closed the app and went for a walk with my wife.
Arrived home and decided to open the app and look for customer service. Never got to that point. The firmware had finally downloaded. Connected to the Signals and the firmware was updated within 5 minutes. Completing the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections took a bit of trial and error but some was my inexperience.

Smoked a couple of cured pork tenderloins today (Sun 4 Feb). I used a probe in each loin and the grill probe. After learning how to setup the Signals and getting the app integrated in my phone I am very happy with this platform. I'll post another thread of the pork after I get the photos downloaded.
In the middle wife wanted her salmon grilled. 2 grills here so the 4th probe got put in her salmon.

Bottom line? The money is worth the quality and performance of the unit.The integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi performed very well.
I've read reviews the probes fail. Hmm they have replacements? I have thrown away 4 units that don't offer replacement probes.

The money is worth the quality and performance of the unit.
100% .
The firmware thing is a pain . I think mostly because it doesn't seem like it's doing anything .
Mine needs it again , so I'll do that today .

The graph and tracking is insane if that's something you like .
Also , I read that they work with an assistant if you use one .

I have a Signals, got last year. Very happy with it. Works much better than any other I have tried over the years. I had an issue recharging it, called Customer service, they explained and now it's fixed.

Reactions: chopsaw
I can't seem to get mine fully charged . What's the secret ?
They said you have to use their charging cord and plug that came with it, not any other one. I used for weeks another plug into the wall outlet instead of the thermoworks branded one, and it said it was charging, as soon as I unplugged it, no matter how long it was charging, it went dead almost immediately. A few times I had it plugged in while cooking, looked to be charging and I still got the message "Battery very low" or similar. Started using the Thermoworks branded cords and it charged fully overnight. Truly a trainable moment for me, lol. Didn't make sense at the time, now it does.

I never change chords for stuff like this . Maybe I'm not leaving it long enough .

I've had one a few years and it works great. I don't use it that often, though. I mainly just use it on my WSM for low heat cooks. It's a pain when you plug it in after a long time and you need a firmware update, then the firmware update won't complete, etc. But so far so good. It uses the same probes as all their other products and their probes are top notch. I've had one go bad the whole time I've used their products and it was my fault. I have the signals, the original smoke and a chef alarm or two.

If I had it to do all over again, I might go with the Smoke X4 because it can run the Billows and you don't have the phone to contend with. But being able to monitor things remotely with the Signals is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
I never change chords for stuff like this . Maybe I'm not leaving it long enough .
I leave it in til the battery icon is lit solid no blinking. Then I open the App on the Phone and make sure the App also says 100% charged. If both agree then I unplug. Often takes a full 24 hours to recharge to 100% on mine.

First the Meater, then the Tappacue, and now this. I'm not biting, had enough of crap that required a app that never works. Kind of amazing we were able to smoke and cook anything worth eating before all this new-fangled garbage became available. I reckon one of the major benefits of being old and doing this for a long time now is being able to cook and live without it. I'll just have to get by with my TP-20, a toothpick, and experience, never had any luck with apps.

I have a Smoke with the Gateway and a Signals.

I've used Signals a bunch with no problems. It also runs the Billows I put on my Assassin GF smoker.

Im a big fan of the charts the Signals and the Gateway create. And I also use the Thermoworks Cloud. All my cooks are stored there.

Lately , I've gone back to using the Smoke more, just to save wear and tear on the Signals.

I've found Thermoworks customer service to be top notch. I recently had a small issue with my Billows. And it was one month out of warranty, they fixed it without charge, anyway.

I've read reviews the probes fail. Hmm they have replacements? I have thrown away 4 units that don't offer replacement probes.
Try these as replacement probes --> Thermoworks Waterproof Probe
A lot more flexible than the metal cased ones, don't have to worry about kinks.
Only caveat is the handle on the probe is fairly fat and may be an issue if your smoker doesn't have a hole large enough for it.
I had to drill the hole out on my CampChef smoker so they would fit.
It is good up to 500f short term.

The Signals works! Been using for more than a year. Never had a single issue with it. Extremely accurate. Love the combo BT & wifi. I can view what's happening for anywhere, ex) the grocery store. Yes they have replacement probes. If you take care of them (i.e. not abuse them) they should last a very long time.

The Signals works! Been using for more than a year. Never had a single issue with it. Extremely accurate. Love the combo BT & wifi. I can view what's happening for anywhere, ex) the grocery store. Yes they have replacement probes. If you take care of them (i.e. not abuse them) they should last a very long time.
I got some of those magnetic cord reels when they were on sale to better keep the Probes tangle free. They work real well.

Reactions: sumosmoke
Try these as replacement probes --> Thermoworks Waterproof Probe
A lot more flexible than the metal cased ones, don't have to worry about kinks.
Only caveat is the handle on the probe is fairly fat and may be an issue if your smoker doesn't have a hole large enough for it.
I had to drill the hole out on my CampChef smoker so they would fit.
It is good up to 500f short term.
I added a couple optional probes to my order. That was one and the other was a short probe.

Info for those that have had charging issues: the Thermoworks power adapters put out a higher voltage than standard USB power adapters and that's what the Signals needs. They really shouldn't use the standard USB plugs and sockets but they do - that's the only complaint I have with their stuff.

I have their external battery too; it powers the Signals and Billows fan for well over 24 hours.

I've had one a few years and it works great. I don't use it that often, though. I mainly just use it on my WSM for low heat cooks. It's a pain when you plug it in after a long time and you need a firmware update, then the firmware update won't complete, etc. But so far so good. It uses the same probes as all their other products and their probes are top notch. I've had one go bad the whole time I've used their products and it was my fault. I have the signals, the original smoke and a chef alarm or two.

If I had it to do all over again, I might go with the Smoke X4 because it can run the Billows and you don't have the phone to contend with. But being able to monitor things remotely with the Signals is nice.
I’m shopping these 2 now…the signals can control the billows too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky