Recipes for Elk!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

406Bozemanite

Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
We have an elk sitting in the freezer that we did a basic butcher on last fall. There are 5 gallon bags of scraps that didn't make steaks that we would like to grind into burger and hopefully make some trail bologna, summer sausage, or salami out of. I found this website when I was trying to look up the difference. Can you share your favorite recipes or methods with me? Would you mix fat into? We are planning on using a pellet smoker. All info welcome.

Yes I would mix some fat with it Elk is a pretty lean meat. I think you can find some recipes on here for Elk or just treat it like Vension.

Warren

By the way welcome to the forum glad to have you on board. On home page just keep scrolling down and you will come to the recipes for everything.

Warren

I mix wild game 60:40 with pork butt for fresh sausage. The 40% pork gives you just enough fat to keep it moist, but not too much to disguise the game flavor. People that want to tame the game so to speak will often use 50:50 ratio. But, either way you double the amount of elk weight, and have some variety of flavors. If you elect to make Italian, Hot Italian, Farm, or any breakfast sausage you can to all those in bulk packaging instead of setting up for making links.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky