question on vinegar w/ chicken

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by chris_harper, May 27, 2007.

1. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i am smoking a whole chicken tomorrow, along with the "pork for bbq" i bought, some ABT's, and some sausage links. can you use vinegar on chicken, in the mop? i would like to use the same mop (i will be spraying it on) for the pork and the chicken.

2. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

You sure can, won't bother me at all. [​IMG]

I don't know what it would do, I've never done that. Heck you never know, it might be the next "WOW" in bbq.

I guess I wouldn't over do it, but I don't see it hurting anything. I'm assuming the skin will be on the bird? If so, I think it will just keep the skin moist and not affect the meat hardly at all.

The only thing I can think of is that it will be harder to crisp the skin. Would be better to use something to help dry it out towards the end. But I honestly have no "q-sense" to tell you what would happen.

go for it, you may be on to something.

Good luck

3. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yep, the skin is on. i pulled out the giblets, rinsed off with water, and have it brining right now. i am about to rub the pork, and wrap in plastic wrap overnight. in the am, i will fix up the ABT's, and fire up the smoker.

4. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

chris, i usually use apple cider vinegar for bird & pork, and balsamic for red meat.

5. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

You are mixing the vinegar with oil right? If so yeah go for it.

Might sound weird but add a teaspoon of peanutbutter to that oil and vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar -- yummmmmmmmm!