Question on MailBox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BobLon

Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Hi,
New to the forum but have lurked for a while. Great site.
I was planning on doing the mailbox mod to my smoker but when I went to look at mailboxes I noticed that all the metal ones said "Galvanized Steel". I've always heard that galvanized metal and cooking/heat do NOT go together.
Are these the mailboxes ya'll are using? Not a problem?
Thanks,
BobLon

The mail box that I purchased locally (Home Depot) is steel. My local Ace Hardware also carries all steel mailboxes. So they can be found not galvanized.

Thanks for response. We will be going by a different HD today so I will look there.

At the first one I checked all the different cartons the boxes came in specified galvanized steel.

I'll check ACE too.
Thanks
BobL.

Most just use the galvanized. The temp in the mailbox doesnt reach a level that can cause health issues related to heat and galvanized metal.

What he said. Also after smoke coats the inside you have another layer of protection.
You can always take your propane torch (which you should have if using the AMNPS) and do a burn out on the mailbox if you really want to go through that trouble but I don't think you gotta worry about it.

Best of luck!

Thanks all. Yes, using AMPS in my 40" MES.

Fixin' to put some belly in the cure for bacon, Mmmmmm

Cheers,
BobL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky