cold smoke attachment versus mailbox mod...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbit59

Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Bradford, Pa.
If i already own a cold smoke attachment why should I do the mailbox mod instead? Once the pellets start in cold smoke attachment, why cant you shut power off and let it go like Amnps.? I hate to add all that if I can do it with something I have...ty

Reactions: JLeonard
If i already own a cold smoke attachment why should I do the mailbox mod instead? Once the pellets start in cold smoke attachment, why cant you shut power off and let it go like Amnps.? I hate to add all that if I can do it with something I have...ty
I don't have a cold smoke attachment so can't speak to that. According to what you described, I would give a test run and see how it operates for you.

Well, you're smarter than most owners of the leaky, clogging tower o chips attachment smoke generator that you'll always have to manage. You'll find pellets will burn up the MB attachment in an area that chips would smolder, therefore a pellet smoke generator burns pellets with a self sufficient coal that will burn a hole in the attachment but is much cooler for cold smoking than the attachment. Get a 15 amp Router controller from Harbor Freight for $20 that has an on off switch plus a variable dial you can just dial in your smoke.

Reactions: MJB05615
Well, you're smarter than most owners of the leaky, clogging tower o chips attachment smoke generator that you'll always have to manage. You'll find pellets will burn up the MB attachment in an area that chips would smolder, therefore a pellet smoke generator burns pellets with a self sufficient coal that will burn a hole in the attachment but is much cooler for cold smoking than the attachment. Get a 15 amp Router controller from Harbor Freight for $20 that has an on off switch plus a variable dial you can just dial in your smoke.
So, you're saying use the cold smoke attachment but use the HF device to lower the amps? And the burner will glow barely so leave it run the whole smoke? Have you done this successfully? Ty

So, you're saying use the cold smoke attachment but use the HF device to lower the amps? And the burner will glow barely so leave it run the whole smoke? Have you done this successfully? Ty
This is the hack for those that have the attachment on this site and at least three other sites on FB. Plug the attachment into the router controller and plug the controller into the outlet (same as an Auber plug and play controller when the stock controller fails.) Switch the controller to on and it's full power to get the chips going, then switch to variable that the dial is set to that maintains the smoke and off will also keeps a thin blue smoke and be self sustaining. So you have three modes to choose from once the chips are smoking. Amazon seems to have the best price.

This is the hack for those that have the attachment on this site and at least three other sites on FB. Plug the attachment into the router controller and plug the controller into the outlet (same as an Auber plug and play controller when the stock controller fails.) Switch the controller to on and it's full power to get the chips going, then switch to variable that the dial is set to that maintains the smoke and off will also keeps a thin blue smoke and be self sustaining. So you have three modes to choose from once the chips are smoking. Amazon seems to have the best price.
What are the three other sites? I like reading this stuff. Is one Waltons? Or meatgistics.....ty

I also use that same vari controller for my cold smoker atachment, works great. I never knew to put pellets in the Cold Smoker attachment, always thought they'd mess it up. I'll have to give this method a try. Til now I have only used chips, and run the Cold Smoker ti it starts to smoke, then turn it off and back on an hour or so later.

My small bradley smoker was to small to use the tube smoker just inside. Just took up to much room. So I added a old microwave as a cold smoke attachment. This allowed me to either use the tube or the bradley puck attachment. Since the pucks are so expensive I just use the tube for all my smokes. Hot or cold.
DSC_0042.JPG

I also added a Convection Drying Oven from where I worked when I retired. Funny how it ended up in the back of my truck one night. :)
Its much larger and I just use the tube for cold smoking inside it.
20211202_085429.jpg

But then we get winters like this and no cold smoking attachment needed LOL
20190216_105917.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky