Question About My New Lang

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeon

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Greetings all. I'm the proud new owner of a slightly used Lang 60. The unit is complete and in beautiful shape. Drove 3500 miles in 4 days last week to get it. Made it home last Sunday night.

My question is, why is the upper rack so small? It seems that it could be larger and still be put in and out of the unit easily. Would it be a valid thing to try to increas smoking capacity by enlarging the upper rack? Or will I run into flow or uniformity problems?

Everyone who knows me here will tell you I have tried to fill my 84 and have not done it yet, So I dont need the xtra space....I dont know how you could do it and still be able to take the top rack out of the cooker when needed. I take mine out when Im not using it....

sorry I can't answer your question, but that is what I call a road trip. Must have been a great buy. Enjoy your new toy.
Dennis

On,

with lots of cooks - most in the 100-300 person range, I can say I am the resident expert on Langs on a Wednesday night at 9:30
biggrin.gif

I say go ahead and add on. I have a 108 now and we added extra rails and racks and I am fine in the flow zone. try it - make it portable/adjustable - that way you can always take it out when you don't need it.

Enjoy - you got you a fine rig there.

I have the Lang 84 but have seen the 60 and wondered the same thing, why is the middle shelf so small, maybe a bigger slide out one was an option, maybe a call to Ben Lang to see if it would block the flow to much

I have the 48 and have wondered about the same thing, and maybe will weld in some channel and build a slider for the top, also for my needs I haven't needed to use the top rack yet. I think maybe it is for clearance on the smaller ones, after all it is a pig roaster and the top rack can be put in and removed and you might need the access to put a whole hog into it. Just my thoughts. still one of the best things I have ever bought
icon_wink.gif

sorry for this late reply - I have been a lazy sack of azz and not on the Forum - my apologies.

the "channel" Lang uses is two pieces of angle welded together - so it is real easy for your welder to do it.

Also, you will need at least 4.25" between each shelf to accept food pans and accommodate larger cuts of meat.  

send some pics on the mods.

Congrats on the Lang. If you can access both racks then I'd sure do it. I have an 84 and have run out of room on more than one occasion
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky