Pumpkin soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kuroki

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Saskatchewan Canada
Here's a favorite of mine. I like to use pumpkins when available. A regular old Halloween pumpkin works well. When not available butternut squash is a good substitute.
I wasn't really planning on posting this until it was half made, so sadly don't have step by step with exact measurements.

First off two butternut squash, peeled, cleaned out inside, and chopped up into roughly 1" cubes. Get a 7qt or larger pot hot, and pour 1/4 cup or so of light olive in. Toss in all the squash and let it start cooking, stir occasionally. Add about half a tablespoon of kosher salt with it to start pulling moisture out of the vegetables.

Meanwhile coarsely chop one yellow onion, and peel and smash (no cutting necessary) a bulb and a half of garlic. Add in with the squash, along with a good dose of fine black pepper. Let it cook down together over medium high heat until the squash start to soften and the onions go clear. At this point add 4 cups of chicken broth and bring it up to a simmer.
IMG_20230115_150609900.jpg

Give it about half an hour, until the squash cubes are just starting to break down. Hit it with an immersion blender until it's a fine puree with no chunks left. Add your dairy. It can be milk or cream. I use whole milk usually as we always have it. Half and half works very well, I don't think I'd personally go any thinner than whole milk though. Thin it out as far as you want to, I usually aim for about like a holiday gravy thickness. Finish off with a couple good heavy pinches of dry dill. Fresh baked foccaccia or biscuits is an ideal side.
IMG_20230115_153541195.jpg

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky