Pulled chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fitnes02

Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
Doing pulled chicken next week for my son's birthday party do you guys use whole chickens or boneless skinless thighes. I used thighes before and turned out great but just wondering what everybody uses?

For me, it all depends on how many people I plan on feeding.
If it just for me and my wife, then it's boneless skinless thighs.
If I am planning to feed 5 more people, then it's whole yardbirds that get smoked and pulled the day before.
If I really want to jazz it up, then birds are brined overnight.
Boneless skinless thighs certainly are easier but that comes at premium.
Gotta weigh the cost/benefit ratio here.

Boneless and skinless is easier. But I've found that whole birds give a better flavor. Granted. I haven't smoked whole birds. But, I've bought whole rotisserie chickens from various stores. And used them to very good results. Mostly for Buffalo chicken dip and such. Like what secondhandsmoker already point out. Though, I'm backwards on his statement. A couple of folks. Then store bought whole rotisserie birds. A larger group. Then it will be boneless and skinless thighs. Simply because I don't have the resources to smoke multiple birds at once. While I can put much more boneless skinless thighs in my smoker.

Last edited:
I would whole bird for pulled chicken. better mixture of meat. if you are a Costco shopped they sell two packs of organic whole chickens that are large and tasty. I forgot how much they were - but I would use them every time. Slaughterhouse brine is killer - there is your linkage.

I have used boneless skinless thighs & breasts 70/30 mix. The 30 being breast meat.
As of late I have been using thighs and breasts. I like smoking them with the skin on. Breast I pull at 165 and the thighs smoke to 185-190 they pretty much fall off the bone...easy pulling.
You can decide on the sauce.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Whole birds no doubt. Get white and dark meat and a lot of times can find them $.99 lb or under. I prefer to spatch mine for a more even cook. The others got you covered if you want to brine...slaughterhouse is awesome on poultry.

Whole birds no doubt. Get white and dark meat and a lot of times can find them $.99 lb or under. I prefer to spatch mine for a more even cook. The others got you covered if you want to brine...slaughterhouse is awesome on poultry.
splatch and slaughterhouse is the only way I do them too!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky