Pulled Beef Sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking4fun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Solon, Ohio
Does anyone have a sauce that they use for pulled beef (chuck) sandwiches? I've been eyeing Jeff's pulled chuck recipe he sent around with some texas toast (and maybe some melted cheese) for a sandwich, but I was hoping to see if anyone has a recipe for a sauce. My initial thought was some mayo, horseradish, wash-your-sister sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and maybe a touch of chipotle or cayenne powder for some zing. Any thoughts or recipe suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A horseradish Mayo sauce would be good. That said I really like the beef to shine through. I’d be all about some smokey au jus.
Yeah, an au jus sounds good too. Maybe I'll make up both since I can do the au jus while smoking the chuckies. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found this recipe for an Alabama White Sauce (similar to Big Bob Gibson's white sauce for chicken)...
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 T black pepper
1 1/4 tspn kosher salt
1 tspn granulated sugar
1 tspn fresh lemon juice
1/2 tspn Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tspn hot sauce

I'm not a huge white vinegar fan, and I don't want a chicken sauce for my beef...so I think I'm going to modify it and change it around a bit and see how it turns out...I'm going to try:
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 T black pepper
1 1/4 tspn kosher salt
1/2 tspn Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tspn hot sauce
1/2 tspn horseradish
1 tspn granulated garlic
1 tspn onion powder

I'll let you know how it turns out and whether or not it goes with a pulled beef sammich. I'm still open to suggestions and other recipes though.

Does anyone have a sauce that they use for pulled beef (chuck) sandwiches? I've been eyeing Jeff's pulled chuck recipe he sent around with some texas toast (and maybe some melted cheese) for a sandwich, but I was hoping to see if anyone has a recipe for a sauce. My initial thought was some mayo, horseradish, wash-your-sister sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and maybe a touch of chipotle or cayenne powder for some zing. Any thoughts or recipe suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Only if you had some Rudy's BBQ Sause my friend.
Smoked pulled beef is super similar to smoked brisket. All I ever want to do is put Rudy's BBQ Sause on my beef and other BBQ lol.

61fCnh-p2lL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Looking at the web site. You try any of the other sauces?

edit. looks like a restaurant. There is one in Dallas but a bit to far.
Sugarfire smokehouse was St. Louis based , but I think they are opening a location in Florida . Never went there to eat , but had it catered one time at a party .
I buy the Honey sriracha and the white sauce .

Great ideas so far. I learned from Franklin's book that he puts Frank's hot sauce on his beef ribs and have done it and it's killer. Also consider going heavier on the rub or injecting and letting the beef shine like jcam222 jcam222 said. On that note, SPG in equal parts is my go to rub for beef.

When I make my Beef or Pulled Beef, I save the juices from the Beef itself, and Defat if needed. Then I use that for Au Jus, or add it to make Gravy, if I'm making Gravy.

Bear

Reactions: TNJAKE
When I make my Beef or Pulled Beef, I save the juices from the Beef itself, and Defat if needed. Then I use that for Au Jus, or add it to make Gravy, if I'm making Gravy.

Bear
Thanks Bear - I'm doing Jeff's recipe where he put 1 can beef broth and 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup in a pan with the chuck at about 150, then cover/tent at 170 and then (I am assuming) when it's done, remove the fat on top of the liquid and add the shredded beef to the remaining liquid. I'm also doing Chef JJ's smokey au jus (unfortunately, without the drippings from the beef since the chuckies are in pans above the jus).

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks Bear - I'm doing Jeff's recipe where he put 1 can beef broth and 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup in a pan with the chuck at about 150, then cover/tent at 170 and then (I am assuming) when it's done, remove the fat on top of the liquid and add the shredded beef to the remaining liquid. I'm also doing Chef JJ's smokey au jus (unfortunately, without the drippings from the beef since the chuckies are in pans above the jus).
You can draw off a cup or so of the fats, beef both and mushroom soup to make a wonderful gravy.
Roux requires fat to create a nice paste.

I'm also doing Chef JJ's smokey au jus (unfortunately, without the drippings from the beef since the chuckies are in pans above the jus).

Deglaze and Defat the Beef drippings,from each pan, and add to the Jus...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky