Pull The Membrane on Baby Backs?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by solar, Sep 13, 2008.

1. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I have 3 nice full slabs of BB's that I just prepped for tomorrow, and I was wondering what the consensus was about pulling the membrane?

I've always done it with my past and have now, but was wondering what others do.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Pull. Why not?

3. buzzard

buzzard Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

i always pull it. i have forgot a couple of times and its a pain in the neck to mess with it later as it is hard to cut.

they say more smoke hits the meat if you pull it off. im sure it does but i dont know how much it will matter in the long run

after i pull it i usually make a smoothie out of it in the blender....mmmmmm membrane smoothie

4. richtee

LOL that's just sick. I'm trying it [​IMG]

5. Yep, always pull the membrane. As for the smooothie idea.....thanks but no thanks. [​IMG]

6. always pull the membrane.and there is an idea for your trimmings .maybe a pork trimming shake.

7. solar

Smoothie?? Um no.

Seriously, being a newbie, I've heard some don't remove it, to me it makes sence for less tough ribs.

8. For the noobs, use the paper towel trick - it sounds silly, but it works like a charm. I think there is an instructional deal here somewhere, but you just get a little started, then grab it with a dry paper towel and rip.

Slick as snot on a doorknob.

9. richtee

What I have noticed...a while back- is that your rub and subsequent mopping will not penetrate thru the membrane...effectivly causing you to season only one side of the rack. That, to me- is a good enough reason to pull.

10. flyin'illini

flyin'illini Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Google up a video. Here ya go. Shows the paper towel method.

11. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

as a skeet shooter would say-Pull.

12. solar

CORRECTION My bad, when I wrote this I meant:

Seriously, being a newbie, I've heard some don't remove it, to me it makes sence if you remove it for less tough ribs.

It's amazing what football and beer does when you're typing. [​IMG]

13. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, pull it. If you don't get it all it is chewy. [​IMG]

Don't ask me how I know that. [​IMG]

Dave