Pterodactyl egg help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ran a test of parboiled and not boiled eggs today. Someone took our SD card for the work camera, so no pics. Sorry I failed........

I took about a dozen eggs and started with salted cold water. Brought to a boil then removed from heat, drained the hot water and added ice to the pan to shock the eggs. I tried to peel one to see how they were as a base line. Peeled with little or no issues and the yolk was starting to set, it had a jelly like consistency in the center and all yellow on the outside, no grey membrane.

I preheated the MES to 225 and threw some mesquite chips in and placed the raw and blanched side by side on the middle 2 grates. No water...

After 1 hr both were cooked with a little color on the shell. the whites had no added color. With grey membrane around the yolk

After 2 hrs more color on the shell and starting to get some color to the whites.

After 3 hrs nice dark brown color to the shell and a tan color throughout the whites.

I did not really notice much difference to the peeling of the eggs. Both seemed to work fine.

Not sure if it was because we tasted them when hot, but did not get much smoke flavor in the eggs.

If I was to try this again, I would do more of a cold/warm smoke. Sort of like a Sous Vide style. I would keep the chamber at 145-150 and smoke for a couple hours minimum. The egg whites would begin to set at 145 and the yolk will set at 158ish. Since most smokers are not as accurate as an immersion water heater, I would error on the cooler side. Either serve hot or chill to below 40 degrees and serve chilled.

JJ do you have a cold smoker as well? That was my biggest concern was getting smoke flavor through. I experimented with soft boiled which I boiled peeled then smoked and thought best smoke flavor came through with those. I just got my cold smoker in the mail I might try completely cooking peeling then cold smoking for a few hours with some other snacks. How do you usually prepare them after smoking?

Did you get a chance to try that out?
 B not yet. This weekend or sooner hopefully. Think ima set them in muffin pans as well before smoking. Ill get some pics and tests by the week let ya know how it turned out.

B not yet. This weekend or sooner hopefully. Think ima set them in muffin pans as well before smoking. Ill get some pics and tests by the week let ya know how it turned out.
Ok - standing by with interest awaiting the official results 
popcorn.gif

Wow I am totally looking forward to your results. I make hellugood devilled eggs and never even thought about smoking the eggs. Wow!

JJ do you have a cold smoker as well? That was my biggest concern was getting smoke flavor through. I experimented with soft boiled which I boiled peeled then smoked and thought best smoke flavor came through with those. I just got my cold smoker in the mail I might try completely cooking peeling then cold smoking for a few hours with some other snacks. How do you usually prepare them after smoking?

When we tasted the eggs we did not get much of a smoke flavor. I don't have a cold smoker yet, but was thinking of using the same concept as you do cheese. Do a boiled egg, peel, chill, smoke for an hour or two and rechill.

When we tasted the eggs we did not get much of a smoke flavor. I don't have a cold smoker yet, but was thinking of using the same concept as you do cheese. Do a boiled egg, peel, chill, smoke for an hour or two and rechill.
I did that yesterday  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/131630/first-use-of-mes-30-variety-of-items-images#post_895354   but didn't peel the eggs first. Had some good smoke flavor in the whites but not the yolks. Next time I will peel first & see how that goes...

Just reading this thread and the others on the forum about them has made me decide to try these today.  The one thing I do know about eggs is if your yolk is green on the outside - you cooked them to fast.  It means the iron is unusable as a nutrient.  Im guessing these little fella like a lower temp.  Unfortunately mine are going to be sharing the cooker with chicken - so 225 is gonna be the temp, but I will put them on the top rack.  If they turn out with green yolks on the outside - then I will try again with less heat.  Just going to do 6 today to see how they turn out.

Just reading this thread and the others on the forum about them has made me decide to try these today.  The one thing I do know about eggs is if your yolk is green on the outside - you cooked them to fast.  It means the iron is unusable as a nutrient.  Im guessing these little fella like a lower temp.  Unfortunately mine are going to be sharing the cooker with chicken - so 225 is gonna be the temp, but I will put them on the top rack.  If they turn out with green yolks on the outside - then I will try again with less heat.  Just going to do 6 today to see how they turn out.

Tried them - and they turned out very well.  I was surprised how well they cooked in the shell.  I used cherry chips-and after a couple of hours the smoke flavor was very light.  Deviled eggs are what they became.  My kids want more!  I am thinking next time I will use mesquite or hickory to get a smokier flavor.

Tried them - and they turned out very well.  I was surprised how well they cooked in the shell.  I used cherry chips-and after a couple of hours the smoke flavor was very light.  Deviled eggs are what they became.  My kids want more!  I am thinking next time I will use mesquite or hickory to get a smokier flavor.
If you soak them in a solution of 1 part white vinegar 2 parts water it etches the shell and allows a little more smoke flavor in

I tried them last night. I decided I would boil them first then peel and put on the smoker. they turned out pretty rubbery. had a great smoked taste though. I'm going to try it again I think I will lightly boil them next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky