Probe Tender Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
It's been a bit since I've done a brisket and even then I've only done a few. I usually plan on doing burnt ends and separate the point, but I didn't do that with this one. But, my point is registering lower than the flat. So, when it hits probe tender on the flat is it done, or do I ride it till its probe tender at the point?

I would check with an instant read and see if the probes are really accurate. I find the point is usually to temp first which I ignore because the flat is still not probe tender. Then call it when both the flat and point are probe tender to my liking.

My points generally tender up sooner than the flat, so I cook the flat tender and don't worry about the point because of it's higher fat content.

One option is to separate the point and go the old school burnt end route, putting it back on whole for an hour or two, then cube it and reduce with a thinned sauce.

Reactions: Ringer and FoxmanNC
My points generally tender up sooner than the flat, so I cook the flat tender and don't worry about the point because of it's higher fat content.
This is good news because my point just hit 201, but is not yet probe tender, though it is close. However, as you noted, the flat is not nearly as close. So, I'll ride the flat to probe tender and should end up with the best brisket I've made to date (he says with his fingers crossed).

Thanks, that's is what I was hoping to hear.

FoxmanNC FoxmanNC sounds like a good brisket. But pics...Where are the pics? You know we are a visual bunch around here.
Jim
You’re right. It turned out to be my best attempted brisket. No wrap provided me the bark I’ve never achieved. Lots of flavor and lots of crunch.

Attachments

• 1A9CC961-AAB7-4275-B684-7FF36EFF245B.jpeg
    1A9CC961-AAB7-4275-B684-7FF36EFF245B.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 19
  • AB7856A4-BCB3-4029-AE1B-3B0AB8BDF700.jpeg
    AB7856A4-BCB3-4029-AE1B-3B0AB8BDF700.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky