Prepping Lunches for the next few weeks + New Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I pulled the trigger on a new slicer (mine burned up this past winter). Thank you to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge for sending me down the path of the Meat Your Maker slicer!
Decided if I was going to go through the process of testing out the new slicer and the clean up, I would smoke up meat for sandwiches.
I found a ham on sale for $.99/LB, grabbed a turkey breast and a roast.

7F03FB11-27FF-4463-924D-BB1891802CF0_4_5005_c.jpeg

Trimmed up the roast.
407C54B9-57EA-4CD0-8C81-E2D3181A8ECF_4_5005_c.jpeg

Seasoned the roast with SPG with a mustard binder
24B29547-9684-4972-A5E2-53A4D3DDB698_4_5005_c.jpeg

C2F95FFE-E6D5-4972-9043-BB8D32CD31F6_4_5005_c.jpeg

Deboned the T-Breast, brined and rubbed some poultry seasoning. Left the skin on to help hold the moisture, next time I would toss the skin up front and I am going to try skipping th
1AC89439-F208-43C9-9C1F-0769194E6498_4_5005_c.jpeg

Did nothing to the ham, since I was slicing, I did not want a sticky glaze.
A847B2AC-1E92-4126-994F-5C57C290A055_4_5005_c.jpeg

On the pit with Pecan and Cherry chunks

F5390861-CC36-48E9-A424-902439A34B28_1_105_c.jpeg

The Roast Beef was done in 90 minutes, left the ham on and added the Turkey Breast

D719AF11-8B7E-4297-AC68-684A699CDD15_1_105_c.jpeg

Picture does not show as well as I would like, but the ham took on a beautiful color
C9D24956-D743-4CF3-9B9B-E8365357BA7F_1_105_c.jpeg

Started with the ham
BA0F00DB-B99F-458F-AB84-3CF728262D1D_1_105_c.jpeg

407554B7-6718-4E03-93CF-ADA7A01384DE_1_105_c.jpeg

Roast beef turned out AWESOME! I know I slice with the grain, my bad... but it was still very tender.

I forgot to take pictures of the Turkey breast, but it sliced up very nice as well. Next time I think I will skip the rub and go with just a black pepper coating, I will also try skipping the brine or cutting the time to 4-5 hours... just a tad bit too salty for my taste.

The slicer is great, clean up, as typical with all slicers, is a bit of a hassle, but worth it.

Quick math shows that I saved just over $86 versus buying Oscar Meyer Natural Sliced meat. With the cost of the slicer, vacuum packer, bags, charcoal and wood, It should only take me 7-8 cooks to have easily paid for itself.

Thanks for looking,

- Jason

That looks great Jason! That slicer looks just like my LEM but the carriage is layed over at angle, so better design and ultimately easier to use. Would like to see you do a review thread on that slicer too.
Again nice work on those lunch meats, and pecan with cherry is my all time go to smoke wood, very nicely done.

Reactions: millerbuilds
Roast beef turned out AWESOME! I know I slice with the grain, my bad...
Awesome . Lunch meats are one of the biggest money saving things you can do .
Roast beef turned out AWESOME! I know I slice with the grain, my bad... but it was still very tender.
Nope . I slice it just like you do . That's how it should be sliced in my opinion .

I have a few threads on lunch meat type stuff .
Turkey breast, but it sliced up very nice as well. Next time I think I will skip the rub and go with just a black pepper coating, I will also try skipping the brine or cutting the time to 4-5 hours... just a tad bit too salty for my taste.
I like to bone and roll the breast . I use Pop's brine with 1/2 cup measure of the salt and sugar .
Soak overnight . Leave the skin on to smoke , then toss when slicing .

Nice work on all of it bud .

Reactions: millerbuilds
That looks great Jason! That slicer looks just like my LEM but the carriage is layed over at angle, so better design and ultimately easier to use. Would like to see you do a review thread on that slicer too.
Again nice work on those lunch meats, and pecan with cherry is my all time go to smoke wood, very nicely done.
Thank you!
The first thing I noticed is the angle of the carriage, my last one was flat. It is amazing how much the gravity helps with slicing. I will do a review shortly.

- Jason

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Those meats are gonna make some gooooood sammies Jason. A grilled ham and cheese or two would have been made immediately after slicing.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I did not make a sammy, but I did sample quite a bit of the product!

- Jason

Jason, congrates on the new slicer,
and 3 great lumps of meat for sandwich meals for a while.

David
Thanks David, hopefully it will last a month.... but I have a 13 year old growing boy, who can plow through sandwiches!
Saved money and you know whats IN it! Win all the way around.

Jim
Jim, Absolutely!
Thanks!
Nice! So am I the only one thinking you should make a shaggy a scoobey sandwich????
Or a dagwood!
thanks!

Awesome . Lunch meats are one of the biggest money saving things you can do .

Nope . I slice it just like you do . That's how it should be sliced in my opinion .

I have a few threads on lunch meat type stuff .

I like to bone and roll the breast . I use Pop's brine with 1/2 cup measure of the salt and sugar .
Soak overnight . Leave the skin on to smoke , then toss when slicing .

Nice work on all of it bud .
Thanks for the note on the cut of the roast beef. I will have to try the Pop's brine, I do like the reduced salt (I use 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of Brown Sugar, plus spices) the turkey was a little to salty for me.

- Jason

Reactions: JLeonard
I do like the reduced salt (I use 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of Brown Sugar, plus spices) the turkey was a little to salty for me.
Yeah , I stay away from the original .
Try this if you do it again
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure 1 ( can be left out , I use it )
1 tsp lemon extract ( if you like a hint of lemon )
Inject and soak overnight .
Next morning remove from bucket . Rinse , pat dry
and back into the fridge uncovered if you're smoking that day .

Here's a couple different ways I've done them if your interested .

Yeah , I stay away from the original .
Try this if you do it again
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure 1 ( can be left out , I use it )
1 tsp lemon extract ( if you like a hint of lemon )
Inject and soak overnight .
Next morning remove from bucket . Rinse , pat dry
and back into the fridge uncovered if you're smoking that day .

Here's a couple different ways I've done them if your interested .

Thank you, I will give this a try, I like the lower salt content.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky