Prep'in My 1st Boston Pork Shoulder!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by hobbyzone, Jun 28, 2008.

1. hobbyzone

hobbyzone Newbie

Well its a lil 5lb'r smutherd in Mustard and dry rubb (went with a pre-made K.C. rubb (I KNOW I KNOW TREASON BURN EM) but it smells and tastes great and I dont have any homemade reciepes [​IMG] ), if anybody has a homemade rubb reciepe they wouldnt mind sharing I would appreciate it! I plan on kicking it off around 7am (AK time) and given er a good 8 hours of cook time sticking to "Meowey's" cooking method & lots of Hickory then finishing it with Jeff's finishing "sauce" (got all the ingredients today!)
    Wish me luck and I will update with pics as she cooks tommorrow!

[​IMG]

2. Looks good! Can't wait to see the q-view tomorrow!

3. Hey hobbyzone, noticed you said you have Jeffs sauce recipe. You should give his rub a ty. It's pretty darned tasty. Good looking butt by the way.

4. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Probably Southflaquer's finishing sauce. Jeff's Rub and Sauce would be a plus. Look into picking those up when you can.

5. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good luck, it looks like a fool proof beginning and game plan. Don't bet on the 8 hrs, thats all the added info I can think of for ya. You just never know how long it will take,[​IMG]

6. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks Good.

7. hobbyzone

hobbyzone Newbie

Thanks everyone... Question I have looked for Jeff's rub but cannot find? Any pointers..

8. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks like a great start you should find a link to Jeff's rub and sauce at the top of the page well worth the money. Don't forget to post us Qview tomorrow

9. hobbyzone

hobbyzone Newbie

Will do, Thanks!
    Lemme make sure this is the correct rub recipe;

1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
    1 cup Paprika
    1/2 cup Celery Salt
    2 Tbsps. Granulated Garlic
    1/2 Tbsp. Mustard Powder
    1/2 Tbsp. White Pepper
    1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    2 tsps. Ground Thyme
    1/2 tsp. Salt

yes?

10. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks great so far, cant wait for finished product!!!!

11. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It looks good from here, play around with different rubs, or tweak them till you find the right combo. It's a great feeling when the Q comes out better than you imagined.

12. hobbyzone

hobbyzone Newbie

All Right....It came out WonDerFull!!!! Thank You all for you tips and advice and brotherly support!! Best BBQ made in our home ever and I'm only getting started. I want to upgrade smokers, my Brinkman electric is almost impossible to keep a consistent temp. I mainly use the electric to get the wood burning then shut it down, if it dies out I repeat. So any suggestions on a affordable upgrade lemme hear em!
    Anyway here it is..took about 9hrs and the wife made mac and cheese (a recipe we got from BBQ1 in GA and is delicious) I can post the recipe if anybody is interested.
    Again Thanks Everyone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Looks real good. An insulator blanket would help your smoker hold a more constant temperature.