Preparing ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by cseymour, May 17, 2007.

1. cseymour

cseymour Fire Starter

HI all,
    I made a couple racks of ribs this past weekend using Jeff's rib rub and the 3-2-1 method. The ribs tasted great. My question is, how do you cut the ribs to serve them? I think one of the racks still had the brisket on, would you remove this before you smoke the rack?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

2. First question, what style cut were they? Okay, that's the only question I can think of. Personally, I cut them down before cooking. It's just easier for me to seperate them when they're done. My butcher cuts them down for me, so I guess I'm lucky like that.

3. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i think you are meaning the "rib tips" as we call them in here... or skirt(i dont really know the proper name but is what i call them..lol)... i guess it is all on how you want them to look... personally i trim them down so that they look like ribs when you cut them...

this pic shows where i usually trim them for personal eating

[​IMG]

4. kaptn35

kaptn35 Fire Starter

Cmon Man,

Don't do that too me when I haven't had breakfast or Lunch yet today. Why dont you just stick some bamboo sticks under my fingernails while your at it!

5. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm telling ya! Those ribs are awesome looking, supposed to be raining here Saturday into Sunday so I don't think I'll get to any smoke this weekend...[​IMG]

6. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

cseymour, trim up your ribs like teacup shows in his pic. You can smoke the ribtips for snacking on or you can do what I do . I remove the bone and cartilidge and put a rub on the meat and 'em smoke them up for 3 hours, then I dice the meat up and toss it into my Wicked Baked Beans. I also remove the skirt meat (the flap of meat that runs from one side of the ribs to the other) apply the rub and smoke this too only I use this for snacking one while everything else is still in the smoker.

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I often cut off the tips and save it for sausage meat. While the meat smoking I can trim and grind the rest with some butt trimmings away you go!

8. billyq

billyq Smoking Fanatic

After trimming these, it would be St. Louis cut, right?

9. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sometimes it just tastes better when they look nice and neat so I too will trim them.

Hey gives me something to nibble on while I am finishing up the rest of the meat

10. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

That is correct BillyQ.