Porterhouse and T-Bones Smoked and Reverse Sear (with Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sarnott

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Hampton Roads, VA
On Saturday, I was having a few people over so I had the market slice four steaks, 2" thick to reverse sear and serve with JJ's Au Jus recipe. I mixed Montreal Steak Seasoning (75%) with Smoked Sea Salt (25%), rubbed them, wrapped them and let them rest in the frig for about 4 hours.

I smoked them for about an hour at about 210 degrees using Jack Daniels Oak chips over a pan of vegetables as suggested in JJ's excellent Smokey Au Jus recipe on this site.

After an hour, the internal temp was 115 degrees so I pulled, wrapped and put them in a cooler to rest while I finished the au jus sauce (about 30 minutes). When the au jus was about ready and was simmering, I went out and seared the steaks on my searing burner on a Kenmore Grill for between 90 - 120 seconds on each. We sliced them up and served them with the vegetables from the au jus recipe which were great and had a great steak and smoke flavor. The steaks came out very moist, rare to medium rare, very tender and the au jus sauce was a perfect addition (i also made bluse cheese butter to along with them.

I want to thank everybody on this forum for their help. I had never heard of reverse searing until I read about it on here and do it a lot -- it has always produced great results. Thanks also to JJ, his au jus rocks! I followed his recipe almost exactly and only added two packets of Swanson Beef Flavor Boost to the au jus because, whether I'm using it for injecting beef or making a beef stock, it always comes out great.

Thanks from Virginia,

Scott 

Wow...What a Fantastic looking meal!!! If you need help with the leftovers just whistle!!!
beercheer.gif

Thanks,

Actually I made fajitas with the leftovers after marinating both the beef and vegetables (in separate bags) in Pace Garlic & Lime Verde Salsa with a little tequila and they were great too although I think I'll take some hits for making fajitas out of Porterhouse steak!

Thanks, 

It worked out well and I have to say the Pace Garlic & Lime (with some tequilla) made it really easy!

I missed this one, Very nice. Glad you liked the Au Jus...JJ

JJ,

I have used it a number of times and love it. As I think I mentioned in one of my posts, I often make a double batch and have used it as an onion soup base and I found out it freezes well to so, if I have left overs that I'm not finishing right away, I freeze the beef and the au jus so when I thaw out the meat, I have au jus already done. Although, to be honest, since I learned how to reverse sear on this site, having leftovers very long doesn't happen much.

Thanks again,

Scott

What is leftover steak?

Can't remember seeing that one?

Especially when taken to the rare side of med rare?

Good luck and good smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky