Dino bones reverse seared and finished over open flames?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I'll try this again as my first post failed to get a response.
Anybody ever heard of cooking dino's in the oven until almost done and then flame searing to finish?
I saw a YouTube video where a fancy Korean hotel kitchen does just that.
Perhaps they serve it super rare but there was less than half the "pull back" on the bones they were serving.

Reactions: JLeonard
Shoot give it a try....

Either its a complete failure or you've learned a new technique.

Jim

Never heard of that technique, but sounds interesting. I'm curious as to how much smoke/grill flavor they would have...

My last trip to Costco all they had were back ribs.
I prefer to call them "back bones". Practically needed a magnifying glass to find the meat.
That's why many people call them shiners, the bone is shining...😄

Reactions: 02ebz06
My last trip to Costco all they had were back ribs.
I prefer to call them "back bones". Practically needed a magnifying glass to find the meat.
I dont think ever Costco carries them. The one I went to UT had them all the time. Havent looked in CO…yet.

Both the butcher here and in UT had them pretty consistently. If you have a good butcher and you dont see them ask.

Reactions: 02ebz06
If Dinos are done right (IE at 265), the bark looks like this.....Dinos like a hotter temp...
dino-ribs.jpeg

or like this...
dino-ribs2.jpeg

They could be touched by flame but that could burn the richly developed bark.....

What enhances them, especially the singles is a glaze like this blackberry glaze.....
dino-ribs3.jpeg

If done in the oven and no smoke bark then a flame sear to create a bark at the finish would be a added tasty side of things.

Anybody want to see the video it's on the YouTube "channel" called "FoodieLand".
The episode is called "Amazing buffet at a 5-star hotel in Korea".
Worth a look, these guys kick ass.
FWIW, I got mine at Costco in south Austin.

Anybody want to see the video it's on the YouTube "channel" called "FoodieLand".
The episode is called "Amazing buffet at a 5-star hotel in Korea".
Worth a look, these guys kick ass.
FWIW, I got mine at Costco in south Austin.
Checked out the video.....Ribs look darn good!

Jim

I watched it a few times and the dino ribs come out of an oven set at 131C then onto the flames.
131c is 268f, so now I have to guess the cook time in the convection oven before moving to the sear station.
Not sure that's possible but unless it was in there for a long time there's no way it could have been fully cooked even after the sear job.
Still confused by the lack of pull back when they get to the buffet serving station too.
So a mystery, a very delish mystery.

• Haha
If ya wanna roll in that direction, have at it. Always more than one way do prepare something. For me, I'll stick to Dino Bones (plate ribs) in the smoker.

Reactions: sandyut
I think I'll pass, not enough intel, yet..
Just smoked racks #6 and 8 of the 10 racks I snagged at Costco last month.

Reactions: sandyut
For me, I'll stick to Dino Bones (plate ribs) in the smoker
I agree, keep it somple with some SPOG and let it go.
However,
I don't see why it wouldn't work in the oven. You can cook at the same temps you do a smoker. Once you get to the desired IT pull from the oven and let it rest for a bit then throw them on tthe flame. You won't get the smoke flavor like you would in a smoker but you will get the flavor from the char.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky