Pork lard making....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
In my humble opinion, pork lard is the healthiest additives while cooking...I have been using pork lard in our home since birth and only other thing we use is olive oil...here is how I melt fat bacon to make natural lard without preservatives....no salt, no any other spices....

Bacon with very little meat is melted over medium fire until all what is left is bacon bites swimming in sea of pork lard...lard is packed in small jars....cool room up to 60 deg F is good to keep lard good up to 9 months...bacon bites are returned back in to pot and fried in one cup of milk for about 5 min to get golden color...goes hand in hand with bear....

lg phone pics 1334.jpg

lg phone pics 1335.jpg

You could also put in mason jars while hot and they seal to last longer. We use to do a large pot when hog killing time would 4 to 5 3 gal lard cans full.

Warren
I see you're very well knowledgeable...What I do is, I cut cold smoked sausages in 4 inch peaces and store them in pork lard...one layer of sausages with pork lard on top, then second row and so on...this way it is stored out of fridge for long time... and best part is, while cooking with pork lard, all meals have hint of sausages taste....

Are you using cured 'bacon' or raw pork belly? Reason I ask is 'bacon' does have added salt.

I too use natural fats. Chicken fat, pork fat and I also save bacon fat. I can buy "cracklin' fat" at the store cheaply. fry that down in a big pot like you are doing....I love it. Pork fat is way healthier for you than butter!

Reactions: dernektambura
I see you're very well knowledgeable...What I do is, I cut cold smoked sausages in 4 inch peaces and store them in pork lard...one layer of sausages with pork lard on top, then second row and so on...this way it is stored out of fridge for long time... and best part is, while cooking with pork lard, all meals have hint of sausages taste....

Same way my grandmother did sausage patties in jars with lard over them. For sure things had a different and better taste in days gone by. Always a batch of raised doughnuts made and with lard for frying.

Warren

Are you using cured 'bacon' or raw pork belly? Reason I ask is 'bacon' does have added salt.

I too use natural fats. Chicken fat, pork fat and I also save bacon fat. I can buy "cracklin' fat" at the store cheaply. fry that down in a big pot like you are doing....I love it. Pork fat is way healthier for you than butter!
just a regular, uncured bacon.. .

Back in the day before refrigeration, rendering lard was important in the preservation process. Cured meats would be packed in barrels in the reverse order in which they were to be eaten...later stuff in the bottom, while near dated stuff to the top. Then hot lard (+140*F) would be poured over the meats and allowed to harden, preserving the meats. As the lard was used, the meats would be uncovered and consumed.....

Back in the day before refrigeration, rendering lard was important in the preservation process. Cured meats would be packed in barrels in the reverse order in which they were to be eaten...later stuff in the bottom, while near dated stuff to the top. Then hot lard (+140*F) would be poured over the meats and allowed to harden, preserving the meats. As the lard was used, the meats would be uncovered and consumed.....
yes it is all about going back to the roots....

Reactions: dernektambura
ever tried roasting half an inch thick bacon (size of your palm) over the fire and let pork fat drip on peace of bread (also size of your palm) and one inch tick? And when there is no more fat left in bacon, throw bacon, put some salt on bacon fat soaked bread and eat it....I think I'll fire up firepit tomorrow.....

BTW...This is good to do only once to twice a month cuz it takes up to two weeks to unplug arteries with mix of apple cider vinegar and juice...small, one shoot in the morning....lol...

Last edited:
ever tried roasting half an inch thick bacon (size of your palm) over the fire and let pork fat drip on peace of bread (also size of your palm) and one inch tick? And when there is no more fat left in bacon, throw bacon, put some salt on bacon fat soaked bread and eat it....I think I'll fire up firepit tomorrow.....

BTW...This is good to do only once to twice a month cuz it takes up to two weeks to unplug arteries with mix of apple cider vinegar and juice...small, one shoot in the morning....lol...
Like this?
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...irst-firepit-cooked-food.167068/#post-1214224

I am not sure if apple cider vinegar will clean up the lipids. My go to fix for a cholesterol overload is plum brandy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky