pork hock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glutton11

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Edmonton Alberta Canada
I have a rather large pork hock (more like a small ham) that i have to do something with, i am curious if i can brine it and treat it as a small ham just as an experiment to see how it tastes. Its 3.5 lbs with quite alot of meat on it. If i can how long should i brine it for first. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would use pops brine for 2 weeks. Dry in the fridge after for a week then smoke.

Will do..thanks again everyone, cant wait to be able to give someone a tip...lol....make sure the beer fridge is full before firing up the smoker...thats all i got now...more to come

i just weighed it cause you made me second guess my memory...its actually 4.1 lbs..... im of the opinion if the price is right ill give it a shot...if it sucks the neighbours dog always likes it. 

You need to get your own dog(s). Mine love my almost near perfect concoctions. [read] Failures. Keeps it in the family, the neidghbours get enough prime stuff, for suitable reciprocation! [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Ok after 1 too many brews last night i defrosted and put this ham hock in brine only to realize today that im going to be on vacation at 14 days of brining and i wont be able to take it off brine until day 17 or 18. Can i still safely leave this on brine that long and if yes do i need to leave it with a babysitter to turn over every few days. I got it as a tip at work but absolutely can not waste food. i would rather pass it on to someone to finish if it will go bad before i return. Any advise would be appreciated greatly. 

Experiment complete. Due to vacation and work schedule i brined for 18 days and dried for 9 days before i smoked it today and served it with a store bought ham. The vedict it tasted really good for my first attempt maybe a little salty but it was gobbled up quickly. It was alot of work and planning...in the end i think ill concentrate on bacon instead...my family named it suicide ham. Thanks for all the advise guys. Much appreciated. This is all the pictures i took the visiting and drinking made me forget to take more. Happy easter
GALLERY]

Experiment complete. Due to vacation and work schedule i brined for 18 days and dried for 9 days before i smoked it today and served it with a store bought ham. The vedict it tasted really good for my first attempt maybe a little salty but it was gobbled up quickly. It was alot of work and planning...in the end i think ill concentrate on bacon instead...my family named it suicide ham. Thanks for all the advise guys. Much appreciated. This is all the pictures i took the visiting and drinking made me forget to take more. Happy easter
GALLERY]

Well done! Pity the poor neighbours dogs! [emoji]128557[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky