Planning my Mini WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My build was sadly put on hold while we have been playing catch up at the machine shop after the snow last week.  Alas, I should be gathering the remainder of my materials/supplies this Friday and progress will ensue.  In my search for various products and parts, I stumbled upon a decently priced 13" diameter, 1/2" thick ceramic pizza stone.  Would thissize  stone restrict the heat/smoke flow?  I know most builds comprise of a 12" terra cotta or something similar but I just thought this may have been an option.   Thanks fellas

My build was sadly put on hold while we have been playing catch up at the machine shop after the snow last week.  Alas, I should be gathering the remainder of my materials/supplies this Friday and progress will ensue.  In my search for various products and parts, I stumbled upon a decently priced 13" diameter, 1/2" thick ceramic pizza stone.  Would thissize  stone restrict the heat/smoke flow?  I know most builds comprise of a 12" terra cotta or something similar but I just thought this may have been an option.   Thanks fellas

If you have all the parts you can put it together on your break at work!

If you have all the parts you can put it together on your break at work!

If only we had these breaks you speak of haha no no I don't have quite everything to fully assemble yet (need a few more bolts and brass fitting for probes etc) but I am anticipating doing my first burn this weekend!

The 13" stone may be too big. You certainly can try to get t in there. I know that the 12" terracotta fits but it's reallly too big. The 10" terracotta planter tray is the ideal size of you are going to use one as a diffuser. Did you end up with a gold Smokey Joe or the Silver?

The 13" stone may be too big. You certainly can try to get t in there. I know that the 12" terracotta fits but it's reallly too big. The 10" terracotta planter tray is the ideal size of you are going to use one as a diffuser. Did you end up with a gold Smokey Joe or the Silver?

I just thought the integrity of the stone would be better than a terra cotta planter base. I ended up with a gold, ordered it online and delivered to my house. I'm having trouble with the lid fitting properly. I've used channel locks but it doesn't seem to be bringing that rim in any, it seems to be bending the inside of the pot more than anything.

I've heard that using the quick grip clamps works the best for that. Look at my mini-ZA threads I use a pizza stone in there. It's only 10" around.

I've heard that using the quick grip clamps works the best for that. Look at my mini-ZA threads I use a pizza stone in there. It's only 10" around.
Excellent build, my friend.  I just thought something like a pizza stone may yield better heat retention and control when using 2 racks.  I hope I can find some clamps that will work bc nothing I've tried so far has worked.  

Excellent build, my friend.  I just thought something like a pizza stone may yield better heat retention and control when using 2 racks.  I hope I can find some clamps that will work bc nothing I've tried so far has worked.  

My two cents crimp the lip of the pot until the lid fits. No ones gonna see it when the lid is on. Leakage there won't hurt the temp control and once it's seasoned it will be sealed up good.

My two cents crimp the lip of the pot until the lid fits. No ones gonna see it when the lid is on. Leakage there won't hurt the temp control and once it's seasoned it will be sealed up good.

That's what I did! I was trying to be super careful and I was using wood blocks and cardboard and going slowing around the rim...

After a couple of passes I said screw this and bent it every inch and a half or so! The lid fits perfect but the pot isn't as pretty as it could be! It still puts out awesome Q!!!

That's what I did! I was trying to be super careful and I was using wood blocks and cardboard and going slowing around the rim...

After a couple of passes I said screw this and bent it every inch and a half or so! The lid fits perfect but the pot isn't as pretty as it could be! It still puts out awesome Q!!!

No doubt. I seem to bend the inside of the pot more than the lip. I've made several rounds the the top isn't fitting any better than before. The portion of the pot below the lip has dents and stuff from where I've tried bending. I'll just have to stay after it and keep working.

I noticed that my lid actually fits great one way but rides on top of the lip another way...I'll just have to make note of this and use accordingly.  It appears the pot may have become slightly egged or something, not sure but heck it fits.  I have the bottom cut and everything in place.  My other 2 grates arrived at my local HD so I will be picking them up tomorrow, then I'll be ready to roll.  I'll do a season burn (to season me and smoker) and hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can smoke my first rack of ribs come Sunday.

Some may have saw this already but I wanted to post to the thread I started about it. Finally got it finished and the weather allowed a test run today. The first smoked meat will be on hold until Friday. Hoping to have enough of a grasp on my mini by Easter for when my parents and in laws come for dinner.

Looks good! Minis don't take much to get used you.
Excellent, much appreciated.  I believe I also mentioned this in another thread, but while doing the first trial run, I did not have a diffuser in place and I had to keep one vent completely closed and the other was BARELY open at all to keep it steady at around 260.  Plus there was some variance in temp from time to time.  I plan to have the diffuser in place for my first smoke and from now on, should this solve my issues?

Excellent, much appreciated.  I believe I also mentioned this in another thread, but while doing the first trial run, I did not have a diffuser in place and I had to keep one vent completely closed and the other was BARELY open at all to keep it steady at around 260.  Plus there was some variance in temp from time to time.  I plan to have the diffuser in place for my first smoke and from now on, should this solve my issues?

The first couple of smokes the temp will vary occasionally. After a couple of smokes that bad boy will be seasoned and any small leaks will be sealed.

The first couple of smokes the temp will vary occasionally. After a couple of smokes that bad boy will be seasoned and any small leaks will be sealed.

Yep that and we need some more information. Are you using a charcoal basket? Did you use lump or briquettes? How did you light the mini? Did you run the temp up beyond 260, if so how much? Was the wind blowing? What was the temp outdoors? These are all things that can effect the temps. For temps 250 and below it does help to have a diffuser. Even just the steamer insert will help. I'd throw some meat in there for your next trial run. The smoker will perform differently with a loaded rack. Everyone says chicken for the first time since it's cheap. I really think chicken needs to be done hight temp. So if you're trying to hone your low temp settings I say try a bottom round roast or a chuck roast.

Yep that and we need some more information. Are you using a charcoal basket? Did you use lump or briquettes? How did you light the mini? Did you run the temp up beyond 260, if so how much? Was the wind blowing? What was the temp outdoors? These are all things that can effect the temps. For temps 250 and below it does help to have a diffuser. Even just the steamer insert will help. I'd throw some meat in there for your next trial run. The smoker will perform differently with a loaded rack. Everyone says chicken for the first time since it's cheap. I really think chicken needs to be done hight temp. So if you're trying to hone your low temp settings I say try a bottom round roast or a chuck roast.
I am using a 3" charcoal basket with USA made Royal Oak lump and hickory chunks.  I lit the mini with a Weber compact rapidfire chimney and yes the temp did run well past 260 at one point.  Well into the 300's bc I started too many lumps of coal in the chimney.  I would be perfectly fine with smoking some chicken at higher temp, I just know the "ideal" temp is 225-250 so thats kinda what I was shooting for.  

So lump burns hotter than briquettes typically. I would quit using the chimney and load your charcoal basket with unlit fuel. Add your smoke wood on top. If using lump try and pack it as tightly as possible in the basket. Close up the smoker open all your vents. Take a propane torch, light it and stick it in one of the holes of the side vents in the base. Run the torch for 3-5 minutes remove. When you get 15-20 degrees above your target pit temp put the meat on. The temp will drop. As it starts to climb start closing down the lower vents. Leave the lid vent wide open for entire smoke. Try and not over shoot your temp by more than 20 degrees as it's harder to come down than go up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky