overnight butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Keezy

Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
second long smoke in this cooker, last time did one butt only, going to let it run overnight and see what happens
IMG_0344.jpg

Not much real estate left on that grate. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Had a beautiful Choice 4.5 pounder yesterday that took 14 hours.

The timing didn't make it for dinner but the samples that I tested when I pulled it were fantastic. Going to have some sandwiches today and maybe carnitas

This is a Primo "large" 300 size kamado cooker. I do have the extender racks but the bottom and top butts would have been touching and I like there to be some airspace between the pieces of meat, so I went with 3 on the main grate. Its hard to see from the pic, l there is about an inch between them. So if anyone is interested, three 8lb butts is what you can fit on this model. It was hard to find this information on the internet.

During the last cook, which was just one 8 lb butt, it wanted to run rock solid all day at 235 so I just went with that.

This current cook didn't go so well. Temp was all over the place even before I went to bed. Woke up this morning at 8 AM to find the grate temp at 115 and meat internal temp at 115. From the looks of the graph it dropped below 200 sometime around 4:30 AM. This morning I stuck the torch into the firebox and got it fired back up from the bottom in about 15 minutes.

I'm thinking what happened is I got too greedy with smoke and use some applewood chunks that are too large which are preventing the cherry from passing on to new coals. Lesson learned. Anyway, back on track now, meat internal temp currently at 132. It should be ready in time for dinner at 5PM.

Lesson learned #2 don't reuse charcoal on a long smoke in this cooker. I started out with about 50/50 old and new lump. Temp dropped down to 215 and just sat there. Had to do open heart surgery and add more lump, there was no more fuel in there. Ugh!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky