Brisket on, 5:00 AM.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Here I go again, Sams prime packer trimmed down to around 12lbs.
Dry brined with Goldies for around 18 hours.
Saved the meaty trimmings this time, I hates to waste tasty bits.

Question; if it won't finish in time to eat this evening I plan on panning under foil and holding overnight in the oven at around 170, so should I jump from smoker straight to oven or let the temp come down to a lower value than pull temp before moving to the oven?
I don't have a cambro or Yeti so holding overnight in a cooler is too risky safe tenp wise IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_1753(1).jpg
    IMG_1753(1).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 20
Pull it when its tender/done via probing the flat all over then let it sit open on the counter and watch the IT drop 5-10º so the cooking has stopped. In the oven is an option but it would be nice if its temp can be set a bit lower IMO, maybe 155º.

All I can tell you is what I do.

I set the brisket on the counter wrapped. I either cut it to eat or put in the oven to keep warm when it drops to 150.

I have an oven that has a warm setting at 145 or I can use a turkey roaster that will maintain around 145.

IMO, at 170, your brisket is going to continue to cook.

I use the oven as part of my brisket cooks now . It's in the plan from the start . Either hold or force finish . Here's a thread with some good info , and I describe how I do it and what works for me in post 12 .

Max worked at Franklin. Here's his procedure. He never says what his warmer setting is, but I know that Franklin keeps their Altoshams at 145.

The vid should start with Max talking about resting the breesket.

And the results are...
I cooked it until the flat got tender, perhaps the best flat I ever did.
BUT the point was over cooked.
The wife won't touch point end so that's a big success in my book!
Point was falling apart, but the taste is divine.

And the results are...
I cooked it until the flat got tender, perhaps the best flat I ever did.
BUT the point was over cooked.
The wife won't touch point end so that's a big success in my book!
Point was falling apart, but the taste is divine.

We only want the point. Use the flat for taco meat.

Or for a decent pot of chili.

How things change, 20 years ago, we did the opposite.

Before smoking the brisket, we separated the point from the flat. Put the flat on top grate of WSM and point on the bottom. Then we used the point for chili and ate the flat.

I smoked my first brisket on the WSM in 2002, about the same time Aaron Franklin smoked his first brisket on a cheap New Braunfels. He did so much more with it than I did :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All men are not created equal .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky