Other Hobbies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My hobbies...
I enjoy working on cars, I used to be a painter/bodyman in my younger days, so now restore/customize on my own time. Im also a self taught DIY'r...you name it and I can fix it. Im also into building and flying/crashing RC planes.

Love working with metal, Ive got a sandrail frame a buddy and me built from scratch out in the garage waiting its turn. Love taking the boat out and fishing with my two boys 14 and 19.

My latest ongoing project is a house I am rebuilding from the ground up, I replaced the foundation, put in new windows, new roof, new siding, a new room addition, rebuilt the basement walls, re-framed the interior for a more modern layout, Ive got probably another three months before its done.....finally!!
3d0988b1_vbattach16081.jpg

a446fcd9_vbattach16080.jpg

My passion is woodworking and mostly the design and making templates to make the job easier. I'm currently re-designing my kitchen and soon to start on the cabinets. I also make custom fishing rods as a hobby business. And of course, last but not least, smoking...

I make signs and picture frames with a Compucarve, we ride our Goldwing alot, 13,000 miles this past summer, and we ride atv's every chance we get.

Work gets in the way of most hobbies

I love to GoFish, kayak & camp.

The ideal situation is combining all 3 activities on the Sheanadoah River. Me & the fellas load up our Kayaks with as much gear as we can hold, fish all day, set up camp, eat like kings, re-tell the same stories as last year and ***** about not doing this enough!

Minn.Bill,

Looks like you might do a little spearing? I'd like to get into that, looks like fun. Can't wait to do some ice fishing this winter.

Besides smoking my other hobbies are hunting , shooting , and going up north to my cabin and enjoying nature , the other hobby I enjoyed was building RC planes from balsa wood kits , crash them and rebuild them . My pride and joy is a 1/4 scale J-3 Piper Cub with a 9 ft wing span and a 5 1/2 ft fuselage and with floats for landing on water . It took me 2 yrs to build it and when I got finished with it my best friend that got me started in RC past away , I lost interest in for now ( it has never been in the air or been on the water ) .

Do to being a pilot for a number of years, I have an interest in anything that flies. Tried R/C once and have the utmost respect for anyone who can fly thes things without sitting in it ... much easier to be in the machine. I'd love to see that J-3 working off the water.
That plane deserves some air time in honor of your friend ... he wouldn't want it any other way!
Take care!

Motorcycles....we have 7 of them. (also traveling on the motorcycles when ever we can)

Making wine.....we have about 30 gallons ready for bottling.

Growing plants in pots.......just the pretty flowering kind (my hobby, not Scotty's)

We both like all sorts of cooking and experiment with making things, like Italian sausage, breakfast suasage, and the smoking thing.

Photography and artwork on the computer. (my hobby also, not Scotty's)

Neat thread. Family time with young kids is prime hobby for me.

I love to run as much as I can. I end up doing several local races each year.

I also love basketball. I coached for 2 yrs back in 90's and now just watch a lot. (HS, college, some pro)

These days I am pretty much a 'has been' but it is still fun to get out there...

My friend, you are no where near a "has been". You have simply graduated to, "better and greater"
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Your lifes experiences, which you pass on to others, every day, will enrich and benifit the lives of more people than you could ever dream. Please go look in your mirror right now and know, the face that looks back at you, is a wonderful child of God. I am honored to know you.
smile.gif

Big Arm, Amen to this. I only meant 'has been' in an athletic sense. I believe God has a plan for all of us.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

since money was tite this year.......momma made stocking caps and leg warmers...........
since i do leather.........i made these

otherhobbywh1.jpg

my BIL also got a hook knife.........i made a leather snap to hold it in its holder......plus some other mods

bob1ej2.jpg

added his name......antiqued it and put a leather sheen on it, and buffed.....

Yeah, I let that one go. Those fish are great eating, but I turn most of them loose. That one was caught in really cold water, so it had an excellent chance of survival.

i LOVE fishing for and eating strippers...........STILL a nice looking fish......that one would be on my WALL..............heheh

I built remote control airplanes for a lot of people in South Al till it turned into a job instead of a hobby
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

This will show you the size of it, 103" wingspan, 100cc twin cyl electronic
ignition engine and 28" prop. This is a 300Hr nine month build, I was still working full time then and did this evenings and weekends. That's me on the right.

These aircraft were about $5000 five years ago and I built two of them. I built a lot of R/C models but these were the biggest.

What a talented bunch of folks here!

Deud, your leather work is fantastic.....way to go!

John, that's one big bass! I've never had the pleasure of meeting one that size.
smile.gif

Blackhawk, your remote control airplanes are awesome! Great work!
I used to go to remote control fly-ins as a child.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky