"OTBS"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you and I do know it is extremly buzy time of year. I was just wondering how we could congradulate the new people that get inducted the the prestegious OTBS as I know that all of you have worked for it.

Anyway CONGRATS TOO ALL OTBS members.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hillbillysmoker jumps up on the soap box.............

Many of us have waited deligently to be recognized by our fellow forum members and submitted many pieces of advice, recipes, greetings, and even just posts of friendship here. I for one am very proud to be Knight #77 and equally proud to have been nominated by Debi. What a recognition that alone is. My hope is that each and every one of you will some day be a member of the order and feel the distinct pride of being selected. Until then I encourage you to prove yourself and strive for the same perfection in life as you do with your smokers. Your moment will come I assure you. I am proud of this forum and I am proud of the OTBS. I am equally proud of the friends that I have here who have worked so hard to make this forum so great. I know that "the order" is important to all who have posted here or you would have ignored this topic all together. Again be patient and understanding. Enjoy your favorite past time. And most of all just avoid the urge to criticize...

Whomp! jumped down off the hillbillysmoker soap box. Thanks for letting me express myself.

I can remember checking every day to see if I was nominated into the OTBS. So many days went by ending in DAMN!!! not yet. I posted many Qviews, answered a lot of questions, greeted all the new members, but still nothing. Then one day I got the e-mail that I made it, I can honestly say that was one of the happiest days in my life. Everyone here has been so helpful to me, I've learned so much from this fourm. But the feeling I got when Ya'll accepted me into the OTBS was really the best. To me, to be nominated is the only way to go, it means that I earned the postion. Ya'll watched me and what I've learned, how I handled myself here, and then Ya'll made the decidsion(?) I made it. Relax and hang loose it'll happen.

I haven't read back a long ways on this thread, but to the last of my knowledge there was suppose to be some changes being made in how we nominate OTBS candidates and I have been waiting........ There are quite a few I have noticed that I feel are very deserving. Are we able to nominate new OTBS candidates yet?

I think that Dutch was maybe starting to feel like Lucy at the chocolate factory trying to keep up with all of the nominations. It is a busy time of year for most so we should maybe treat this like a plateau when smoking, patience.

In the mean while....I need more pics...post more pics.
biggrin.gif

Well said Bill, that pretty much says it all!

When I was nominated by Marvin (msmith), and then accepted, I can't even begin to tell you how honored I was... and I still am! The OTBS is all about being helpful, patient, caring and sharing. Follow this and be patient, your day will come!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

In the first few years of existance there were less than 50 members. It took knowledge contribution and demonstration of the mastery of the craft to be inducted.

Now all of a sudden, well up until recently, it's been as simple as waving your hand and poof your a member.

My guess is that they are in the process of tightening the selection criteria. If they don't, it will greatly diminish the value of membership, well at least to the first 50 members or so. Well, for that matter, to the future inductees as well. We all know that the tougher it is to attain something, the sweeter it is once attained.

Anyone can be a member of SMF, it shouldn't be that easy to be an OTBS Knight.

I'm proud to be, I believe, the first Knightess!!!!
biggrin.gif
I may be wrong, but I think I am...I have to get Coley's OTBS sign he made for me up on my signature!! #33!!

Even as one of the late comers to the group, I could not agree more. Seemed kind of like a free for all. No offense towards anyone, just seemed like there for a while there were several per week.........me being on of them.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
Needed a revamp IMO......at least if getting nominated and/or accepted were to be any big deal.

Clyde, I very much agree. Coming from the last group to get voted in, I was honored to be nominated, but have fealty guilty ever since, as I don't feel like I'm experienced enough to hold the title. I even find myself not asking certain questions because I don't want to bring down the name of the "real" OTBS guys/gals.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I think the process needs to be tightened up. If it takes volunteer resignations to bring the name of the group back, I would be willing to do so. I certainly don't any animosity among the ranks because of a title I don't feel worthy to hold in the first place.

As one of the later nom's, I can understand this. I have understood this since the day a moratorium was called. I may have been partially at fault with a nom I had made for a relatively new member. But then again, I was a relatively new member, and nom'd by No.39, Mr. Meowey.. bless his heart!

I did feel It was somewhat premature that I be inducted and said so in my acceptance post. And if it takes a 'recall" to re-establish a certain 'baseline" I would voluntarily relinquish my Knighthood as well.

That being said- since then I have accumulated over 400 rep points, to level 25 I think. Seriously, it takes SOMETHING to have all those folks giving me points. I'm not patting my back or anything, just saying you don't have to be "old" to be wise, "old" in the sense of time on the forum. But i DO agree it sure helps!

My two percent of a buck.

My thought's exactly, i had to earn the right to become a knight, as of late, they been just handing em out!!
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

I'm sure whatever the change is, it will be for the better!!

I'm with Geek on this. I've offered to give back my status in the past and the offer still stands if it will bring peace back to the forum about this issue.

Just my opinion, and I certainly am not familiar with everyone that has been made a Knight into the OTBS, but I honestly do not feel I know of anyone who is and is not (in my opinion) worthy of it.

Geek with Fire
Anyone that can control their smoker with a pc and post read outs of the temps and how they vary does deserve to be in the OTBS. I see bigger things coming from you with your pc and smoker. Just keep working on that smoked chewing gum idea for me !!!

I am kind of sorry I ask how to get informed of new OTBS members as I feel I may have offended some of them. If I have please accept my sincere appologies. I do still want to congradulate each and every one of you on your statis to OTBS.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Josh,
IMHO, anybody that can design and build their own home built BBQ Guru smoker temp controller definitely is worthy of membership in the OTBS.

I think I should be considered because of my knowledge of pigs (being one myself) but evidently not everyone else does. I can accept that.

I don't thinnk anyone is considering recalls or anything, and IMHO it would be a mistake to do so and have an equally deleterious affect on the credibility of the order.

What's happened has happened. Water under the bridge is downstream. Hopefully any that may have been inducted prematurely will carry their responsibilities to the order properly and if anly after the fact, earn their title.

When all it takes to be a member is to make a post or two and make a friend or two, it would tend to make one wonder if this is a smoking forum, or just a social gathering. Not that I'm anti social or anything, it's just that it is called the Smoking Meat forum.

Thanks all for allowing my say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky