OKJ Highland Baby Back Racks Amount?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stash Beardsley

Original poster
I have an OKJ Highland with every mod except the stack elbow. I agreed to smoke baby back ribs for a company event. My meat calculator has a total of 10 racks for the amount of people. Is this possible with vertical rib racks? How much meat can I heat? Will this extend cooking times? Can I still do the Texas cheat with vertical racks? Has anyone tried this? I know it's not ideal but will it work?

I've never used a vertical rack in my OKJ. I have cooked 3 racks at a time just on the grill grates with total success. I imagine you could get 5 or 6 racks on there if you are willing to stack them to the firebox. It does get much hotter there and some rotation would most definitely be required. Are you planning on bringing your OKJ to the event to smoke just before serving? I am planning on doing a big cook in November for the IT department that I work for. My plan for the ribs is to smoke ahead of time. Wrap in foil for the day of and reheat in pellet grills along with the same plan for heating the briskets to serving temp as well.

G

Reactions: Stash Beardsley
I have an OKJ Highland with every mod except the stack elbow. I agreed to smoke baby back ribs for a company event. My meat calculator has a total of 10 racks for the amount of people. Is this possible with vertical rib racks? How much meat can I heat? Will this extend cooking times? Can I still do the Texas cheat with vertical racks? Has anyone tried this? I know it's not ideal but will it work?
I doubt that you can fit them all at once and that would be a huge heat sink which would be hard to keep up to temp. Personally, I'd do two nights of smoking then reheat in the oven and serve. Or borrow another smoker and do 50-50 in each, or if you can rent a larger smoker that would be cool as well.

I doubt that you can fit them all at once and that would be a huge heat sink which would be hard to keep up to temp. Personally, I'd do two nights of smoking then reheat in the oven and serve. Or borrow another smoker and do 50-50 in each, or if you can rent a larger smoker that would be cool as well.
I was thinking about bringing my second smoker. The one I started out on, a Char-Griller E1224, it still works. I was leaning that way but just wanted to see if it was possible with just the Highland. I pretty much just got it and haven't pushed its limits yet. I enjoy smoking on the spot and then serving so I definitely want to do it same day.

I've never used a vertical rack in my OKJ. I have cooked 3 racks at a time just on the grill grates with total success. I imagine you could get 5 or 6 racks on there if you are willing to stack them to the firebox. It does get much hotter there and some rotation would most definitely be required. Are you planning on bringing your OKJ to the event to smoke just before serving? I am planning on doing a big cook in November for the IT department that I work for. My plan for the ribs is to smoke ahead of time. Wrap in foil for the day of and reheat in pellet grills along with the same plan for heating the briskets to serving temp as well.

G
I did 4 baby back racks last Sun. laid out normally off to the left. I do have the diffuser plates with the water pan sitting under the racks closest to the firebox. Haven't had meat all the way to the firebox yet. I did rotate the ribs closest to the fire after smoking for 2 hours when I wrapped them in foil. Turned out good. The 4 racks were done in my normal amount of time. Do you think that it would extend cooking time if I did all 10 racks at once?

Are you talking about a rack to hold the ribs on edge, or are you talking about hanging them vertically. There are a lot of different racks, I've had excellent results using them. This first photo is my BGE with an 18" grate.
Pdg5aGW.jpg
DNnmvpf.jpg

Are you talking about a rack to hold the ribs on edge, or are you talking about hanging them vertically. There are a lot of different racks, I've had excellent results using them. This first photo is my BGE with an 18" grate.
View attachment 507465
View attachment 507466
Dang, that's a lot of ribs. I could take a rack off your hands to make room :)

G

I was thinking about bringing my second smoker. The one I started out on, a Char-Griller E1224, it still works. I was leaning that way but just wanted to see if it was possible with just the Highland. I pretty much just got it and haven't pushed its limits yet. I enjoy smoking on the spot and then serving so I definitely want to do it same day.
If you have a method of moving your smokers to your work site for the cook that isn't going to cause you too much trouble then I would say go for that and then you can be certain to have better results. In my case, I have no way to transport my smoker to work with no truck. Being 200lbs also makes it a challenge to move too much anyway. I would not feel worried in the slightest to cook ribs all the way to about 5" from the firebox. With rotation at wrap time I am confident there would be no trouble. With those vertical racks It seems like 10 slabs would actually be manageable. I may have to look into that myself.

G

View attachment 507465
View attachment 507466
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want to do. I've got racks coming from Amazon that will hold 5 per on the side like that. What kind of cooker is the second picture? Did you have to do anything differently than normal? Time, fire size, etc? Can you give me any tips? Looks awesome.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want to do. I've got racks coming from Amazon that will hold 5 per on the side like that. What kind of cooker is the second picture? Did you have to do anything differently than normal? Time, fire size, etc? Can you give me any tips? Looks awesome.
The other cooker is about a 40 year old end firebox style with a tuning plate. My racks have a lean to them so if you spray during the cook, the juices run down freely, and they are taller which helps to stop a rack from curling. I usually start with the thinner edge down in the rack, just as a precaution against a rack getting stuck. The only real difference is a longer recovery time on the pit because you are putting so much cold meat in at once. Once the pit temp comes back, they cook just like they normally would if you were cooking 3 or 4 racks. The spacing between racks allows for good heat flow. I do rotate the entire rack once to even out any doneness. And if your smoker has some uneven heat zones you might have to turn some racks over. You can probably see if that is happening after a couple of hours or maybe you can leapfrog one rack over the other.
t3q1kgx.jpg

I don't think anyone answered, but yes you can wrap/crutch fine with a rib rack. That said, you can also just stack them on top of each other at that point. Since they'll be nearly falling apart, putting them back on the rib rack can become problematic. You may want to take them to finish wrapped, possibly quickly glazing one by one afterwards at a higher temp ( you can always increase temp quite a bit during the wrap)

I don't think anyone answered, but yes you can wrap/crutch fine with a rib rack. That said, you can also just stack them on top of each other at that point. Since they'll be nearly falling apart, putting them back on the rib rack can become problematic. You may want to take them to finish wrapped, possibly quickly glazing one by one afterwards at a higher temp ( you can always increase temp quite a bit during the wrap)
js0Eleg.jpg

Awesome, that makes sense. I'll do that then, so the extra flavoring I add during the wrap doesn't just slide down. Guess I'm just going to bring my main smoker then. All the info. everyone has given has mad me confident to do it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky