Building replacement racks, need opinions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phyx

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Going to add a top rack for my OKJ Highland. While I like the pre-fab racks, I think their design reduces about 2-3” of cooking space side to side on both levels. This is due to its design—no need for bolts or welds. I can’t fault the design as it’s genius for this scenario.

They’re built with mild steel angle and expanded metal—pretty standard. The way they sit in pics on their site is with the welds of the expanded metal not showing, so the flat part of the angle is horizontal and on top of the expanded metal. The other part of the angle sits vertically/perpendicular to the stock rack rests.

However, I want to maximize my space. I’d like to build the same racks (only wider). Further, I’d like to flip the rack over so the horizontal flat part of the angle is sitting on the stock rack rests and the vertical part of the angle creates a lip for the bottom rack. This should give me another 1/2” to 1” clearance between top and bottom racks.

Apart from aesthetics, is there any reason not to flip the grate? Would using flat or round bar work as well as angle or would it warp or bend? I think flat would warp but not sure about the bar.

Thoughts?

TIA

Use the angle, it gives more strength so it wont sag

Reactions: phyx
You can't go wider than the door and still be able slide the grates out. The version I see on YT looks like it's maxed out for width.

My Grand Champ has a shelf on each side level with the grate.
IMG_6584.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard and phyx
Also - do not ignore the fact that, especially on the upper shelf, the closer you place food to the front and or back of the shelf, the more likely the lid hits the food when you close it.

Also - do not ignore the fact that, especially on the upper shelf, the closer you place food to the front and or back of the shelf, the more likely the lid hits the food when you close it.

When I actually use the top shelf I place it in the middle. I kinda had the same idea as P phyx . I'd like to to put some angle or something at the back of the grates to keep food from falling off the back. The bottom in case I'm grilling and want to pull grate to add fuel.

Last edited:
Use the angle, it gives more strength so it wont sag
That’s what I was thinking too. Another idea was to use angle on the sides and back, but flat bar in the front. Not sure how sturdy it would be but angle is tried and true.

You can't go wider than the door and still be able slide the grates out. The version I see on YT looks like it's maxed out for width.

My Grand Champ has a shelf on each side level with the grate.View attachment 669103

I like the little shelf on the side. What a great idea! I was thinking that if I built the grates the full width of the smoker I’d definitely have to angle them into place. So basically rather than slide in and out I’d tilt one side of the rack up, put it into the cooking chamber, then place it properly. This could also get old really quickly though and it might be more frustrating than losing a couple of inches of grate space. That shelf looks to be a winner though. What is your top rack made from? Looks almost like a steel C channel or something. I dig it.

Thanks the reminder! I had that happen on my old Chargriller years ago. Learned that lesson the hard way. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Retired Spook
When I actually use the top shelf it place in the middle. I kinda had the same idea as P phyx . I'd like to to put some angle or something at the back of the grates to keep food from falling off the back. The bottom in case I'm grilling and want to pull grate to add fuel.
Have you ever flipped your grate so the angle creates a lip? I haven’t seen it done but it seems like it should work fine. I’ve had the occasional burger slide off the back if I get too aggressive with the spatula—hotdogs and sausages get the tongs though LOL. I wonder if people more experienced than me don’t flip it because grease and bits of food would pool up in the angle and the expanded metal making clean up a nightmare.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I like the little shelf on the side. What a great idea! I was thinking that if I built the grates the full width of the smoker I’d definitely have to angle them into place. So basically rather than slide in and out I’d tilt one side of the rack up, put it into the cooking chamber, then place it properly. This could also get old really quickly though and it might be more frustrating than losing a couple of inches of grate space. That shelf looks to be a winner though. What is your top rack made from? Looks almost like a steel C channel or something. I dig it.
I don't think that would work due to the shape of the cook chamber. The top doesn't have the depth to do that. You might want to do a test fit with a piece of cardboard.

Have you ever flipped your grate so the angle creates a lip? I haven’t seen it done but it seems like it should work fine. I’ve had the occasional burger slide off the back if I get too aggressive with the spatula—hotdogs and sausages get the tongs though LOL. I wonder if people more experienced than me don’t flip it because grease and bits of food would pool up in the angle and the expanded metal making clean up a nightmare.
Both racks are like a rounded J channel and have a handle. The tops of the expanded metal are ground smooth. The bottom side is kind of sharp and would not make a good grate surface.
IMG_6589.JPG

Looks like I need to dump some ashes too.

Last edited:
I don't think that would work due to the shape of the cook chamber. The top doesn't have the depth to do that. You might want to do a test fit with a piece of cardboard.

Both racks are like a rounded J channel and have a handle. The tops of the expanded metal are ground smooth. The bottom side is kind of sharp and would no make good grate surface.
View attachment 669127
Looks like I need to dump some ashes too.
Definitely going to do a cardboard template first. I’d hate to get all that welded up and not be able to use it properly. Thanks for the tips! I really like that shelf and the J channel looks like it would make it easy to slide the racks in and out with no edges to drag on the guides.

I will come up with something eventually and post pics once I do.

Reactions: DonP and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky