% of water?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auerjr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 31, 2019
WI
What do you typically add for water % in a cured and smoked sausage? Do you add more water if a binder is used?

I think I remember 5/6% of water?

In general most here feel adding water is not necessary and some feel it leads to a reduction in quality. Same with using a binder. That said, I use 5-10% water along with a binder in most of my stuff for added insurance for a good bind and feel the water helps distribute the spice mix. IE I add my spice mix to the water and mix before adding to the meat.

thanks guys. I have been using 5/6%, sounds like I'm on the right track.

Reactions: zwiller
I let the lean to fat ratio and the amount of salt added decide how much liquid and binder in a cured and smoked sausage .
chopsaw chopsaw I am just beginning to learn sausage making.
Could you elaborate on your thought process with this? Thanks for your help!
I've been making bacon of all types for years using EQ and mostly cold smoking but never got into sausage making.

Could you elaborate on your thought process with this?
Yes . Doug is saying the same thing in post 7 .
The amount of fat and salt play a big part of the meat paste binding .
My opinion is , you can't say use X amount liquid without knowing what else is used .
I use pork butt most of the time . The fat to lean is always different , but close . So I have a dedicated salt amount I use , add the seasonings and mix . For a fresh sausage , if it's dry / won't bind I'll add some liquid and mix again . If it comes together I'll stop . If it doesn't I'll add more in small amounts until it comes together . If it's a pre mix you never know if it's salt heavy , or what that percentage is . So the amount of liquid may change .

I'll do the same with a cured and smoked sausage , but also use a binder added in small amounts along with the liquid .
I don't measure any of that . I add it in slowly while mixing until it comes together .

Reactions: auerjr and DougE
You will lose 10-12% water from the links when you submit them to smoking. So the added water offsets this and keeps the sausages moist and juicy. The rate of addition for smoke sausages is a max. of 10%; and 3% for fresh sausages.
I generally smoke long enough to get the color I want. I cold smoke when ambient temps allow, or warm smoke the rest of the time. Either way, I poach naked in SV to finish so I doubt I lose that much moisture in my process.

Reactions: indaswamp
SV finish will definitely reabsorb water on the finish. I was referring to traditionally smoked sausages finished in the smokehouse.
Commercial producers use a steam bath with liquid smoke water for a 100% humidity environment that locks in all the moisture, even added water, for higher profits and faster cooking times.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky