Rice Flour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Anyone use rice flour as a binder for making sausage instead of NFDM?
Was looking at binders at one of my ordering outlets and they have rice flour listed as a binder.
Web site says to use it like this:
Use 3-5% of meat block and 10% water.

I have some I use in the bread proofing bowl . Haven't tried it in sausage yet but the option is there .
I've been using a lot of potato starch , but I add it a little at a time until it comes together . The recommended rates are always to high for my taste .

Not for sausage, but use it on a pizza peel, doesn't burn as easy when it its the oven floor.

Found this post:

Never used rice flour for a binder. Way prefer potato starch. Rice is a good starch but kinda week compared to others.

You should be able to find a local source for Bob's Red Mill products. Potato starch should be one they carry. I get it at Meijer grocery store.

If it's not in the baking isle , look in the whole foods section .
The potato starch works really well , but I'm gonna try the rice flour next go round .
20240210_164142.jpg

Ya I looked in every grocery store in a 30 mile radius and they have every other Bob's Red Mill product but no potato starch. Only place I can get it here is with Amazon.
We do have a a Bulk Barn in town which carries lots of different spices by bulk. Need to remind myself to stop in there one of these days.

Ya I looked in every grocery store in a 30 mile radius and they have every other Bob's Red Mill product but no potato starch. Only place I can get it here is with Amazon.
We do have a a Bulk Barn in town which carries lots of different spices by bulk. Need to remind myself to stop in there one of these days.
Big difference between starch based binders and protein based binders. You have to decide in the end what will work best for your specific application. I never use one type for all and sometimes use none.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky