No idea how to use Stone Age cabinet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for all the great advice. There's no vents on the bottom but there is an exhaust fan above it. There's some wood from the previous owner and also my father in law has hickory wood.
I think its a great idea to try using biscuits and foil to check for cold spots. I'm thinking getting a Meater Bluetooth thermometer, will that work for a cabinet smoker? I will get aluminum drip pans for the drip shelf. My only experience with smoking is the Traeger. BTW, the previous owner also left a Grillworks Argentine Grill and a Calflame propane burner.
I was gifted a Meater thermometer and it wont work with in my offset smoker. The metal must be too thick at 1/4 inch.

My old Masterbuilt vertical isn't near as nice as Thirdeye's but I've made a Z-labyrinth for the lower fire box. Keeps the temps under control and makes a long cook possible. The key thing to remember with any vertical is that none of your meat should be in a direct line-of-sight path with any part of the hot fire. Otherwise the infrared heating will overpower normal convection and those cuts will be over-done.

Hello
I recently inherited a stone age cabinet wood smoker and have no idea how to use it. I was thinking of trying it out with a small beef rib roast. Does anyone have an experience of smokers of this type? Any advice would be much appreciated.
That is a 12K smoker. Nice. Looks like it’s a built in and requires masonry around it. This could be a struggle as the mason blocks will draw heat and could be a challenge on temp stability. Will be watching, but very nice smoker.

Oh just know that you don’t always have to use it as a smoker unit. You can put a charcoal/wood pan on the drip pan and use it as a vertical roaster…..

Here is and example for you……
C0BE5219-DB7A-4D12-850E-D5412AA55CCC.jpeg

This is my vertical chamber and it can vertically smoke just like yours and the coals and cherry splits are sitting in my smoking drip pan…….like it said you have a sweet unit!!!!

Reactions: Redicans
It sounds like you now have some very nice smoking/grilling options. I am also looking forward to seeing more pictures. I’m sure the folks here will be happy to chat about getting them all up and running.

The smoker doesn't have the 3 vents, it has the lift up latch for the air intake and an exhaust air handle. Hopefully the manual will help with instructions. The smoker racks are rusted and in need of a clean. There is a sink right next to the smoker which helps. My husband bought me a wireless thermometer but the smoker door is thick.
The Argentine Grill is also new to me, the turning wheel lifts up the rack up and down. I think you can put wood underneath and on the side.
Apparently the previous owner only used the whole BBQ setup twice while in 4 years.

Attachments

• SA-SM-LP6-AirControl.jpg
    SA-SM-LP6-AirControl.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230715_163305599.jpg
    IMG_20230715_163305599.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230715_163316491.jpg
    IMG_20230715_163316491.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230715_163327611_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230715_163327611_HDR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230715_163423492.jpg
    IMG_20230715_163423492.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 38
Ok you have over 20k in smoking/grilling equipment there…..just amazing!

The latch of the smaller door allows the inflow and the exit adjust to restrict the overall air flow, a bit harder to control that way but I’m betting once you get the right combination it will burn very good.

The racks aren’t that bad. Just wire brush them and spray with canola oil, wipe with a rag then cook them in the smoker for an hour, they will be good to go.

The Argentine grill you have is TOP of the line!!! Ie restaurant grade! That basket thing in the back is know as a brasero, and is designed to burn logs to create coals that you pull under the grates to get a pure wood coal heat for grill, it creates fantastic clean bbq flavor. The brasero can also be use to sear things as it has a hot fire next to the grates. FYI you don’t have to use the brasero you can put charcoals down directly you can burn wood, pretty much any combination….

That two burner set up is also very sweet, someone knew what they were doing when the built your bbq heaven!

Here is one I’ve many cooks in my hybrid Argentine grill. I also have many more posts with the X Fire grill you can search
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-x-fire-ribeye.294389/

Search for posts from Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal and edmonds edmonds as both have a similar grills and you can get an idea on what you can cook on it….. they both do incredible cooking with theirs…..PS using it is easier than you think……ie light some charcoal spread out once all engaged (ie white) and grill….. if you want wood flavor add a few splits of wood and raise up the grate. As the fire burns down lower the grate to keep the grill temp you desire….

I can’t wait to see how you start to discover the cooking center that you have there!!!!!!

Last edited:
Very nice quality set up your going to have fun in there. Is the sink concrete?

That free standing cage, brasero, alone is priced at 1200. As civil said. You got a real nice set up. Here is the manufacturer website. Maybe will help with their videos. https://www.grillworksusa.com/video
Professional architectural NSF certified grill….ie full stainless steel and all welds and corners are smoothed to keep food from getting stuck, ie much easier to clean and such.

Cooking over natural wood coals and fire is my absolutely favorite way to cook…..

That is some pretty nice stuff you have there. The Argentine grill is a beast. Like civilsmoker civilsmoker posted above. It is not hard to use but it does take a little bit of effort to get get it going. I use a chimney starter with real oak lump charcoal. Once it gets near the top I dump it in the box and add whatever wood I want.

july4_brisket_chili_003.jpg

2022_12_01_tomahawk.jpg

2021_08_30_bbq_002.jpg

looks fantastic, what a blessing, and remember the best way to learn is to practice. The more you use them the better you will understand how they cook. When I started using a stickburner nothing helped as much as cooking. Really Love those Argentine grills. Would love to get one, just haven't found a wood burning one in my price range.

Last edited:
It does have a concrete sink. Just going waiting on the wire brush and BBQ gloves to get started. Love the idea of putting skewers on the Argentine Grill, was going to do a beef satay style and grill veggies on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_20230718_094126854.jpg
    IMG_20230718_094126854.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 22
I may have been missing the forest for the trees in this thread. Let me make a more general statement...this looks like a wonderful home you've acquired! Wishing you years of happiness in it. The prior owners seemed to have been well invested in this both monetarily and personally! Now go make your own memories and leave your mark on her.

Sorry about the late response but my husband has decided to do a vegan detox which put a dampener on things. I have to cook 2 meals every time. I'm just going his detox is short or maybe repurpose the smoker as a pizza oven?

Sorry about the late response but my husband has decided to do a vegan detox which put a dampener on things. I have to cook 2 meals every time. I'm just going his detox is short or maybe repurpose the smoker as a pizza oven?
You can make some smoked spaghetti squash and add bbq sauce, or Maybe this. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-spaghetti-squash.163496/ you can cook the vegan dog if he likes them https://www.amazon.com/Loma-Linda-B...ocphy=9032140&hvtargid=pla-571294638875&psc=1.
Also portobello caps stuffed with whatever vegan and whatever you like, zucchini cooked in smoker is good. Smoked cabbage head etc. lots of options that you can dual smoke. Meat for you and vegan for him or a combo for you etc.

You can make some smoked spaghetti squash and add bbq sauce, or Maybe this. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-spaghetti-squash.163496/ you can cook the vegan dog if he likes them https://www.amazon.com/Loma-Linda-B...ocphy=9032140&hvtargid=pla-571294638875&psc=1.
Also portobello caps stuffed with whatever vegan and whatever you like, zucchini cooked in smoker is good. Smoked cabbage head etc. lots of options that you can dual smoke. Meat for you and vegan for him or a combo for you etc.
100% agree with broke here open flame grilled veg is amazing, the smoker is nothing more than a fire based convection oven and the Argentine is just a fire/coal based grill. Cooking veg on that thing would be a dream, google some Argentine bbq cooks and you will see a TON of vegan based cooks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky