next project: Summer Sausage, and I need some advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
Fortunately, 3 deer came my way on Saturday.  Weird story, but I shot one, and while my uncle and I were quartering the deer I shot, 2 deer were hit 50 yards from his front door, so of course we weren't going to let it spoil so we picked them up.  We had steaks from a previous deer, so we decided to grind it into burger (except for the sweet meat and back straps).  So my problem is this, I now have 165 pounds of hamburger, and need to make some summer sausage (which i have never made before).  2nd thing is that my uncles wife, and kids for a matter of fact, cannot have MSG.  Alot of the spice packs out there have MSG in them, and I am looking for a good recipe without it.  If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Jim

Hi Jim,

There a bunch of good recipes here: http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#LUNCHMEATS-WITH SMOKE

Most do not have MSG - The German farmer style looks pretty good, might have to try that one myself.

Good luck and have fun!

thumb.gif

If your looking for a kit the Cabelas Summer Sausage does not have MSG.  I just made it today and the flavor is great!  I'm sure it will improve even more over the next few days.  The kit includes casings, seasoning and cure. 

icon_cool.gif

I would recommend Joel's (solaryellow) recipe for I have tried it and it's pretty darn good. Now I ave also used the hi-moutian kit a couple of times and it came out pretty good too.

Fortunately, 3 deer came my way on Saturday.  Weird story, but I shot one, and while my uncle and I were quartering the deer I shot, 2 deer were hit 50 yards from his front door, so of course we weren't going to let it spoil so we picked them up.  We had steaks from a previous deer, so we decided to grind it into burger (except for the sweet meat and back straps).  So my problem is this, I now have 165 pounds of hamburger, and need to make some summer sausage (which i have never made before).  2nd thing is that my uncles wife, and kids for a matter of fact, cannot have MSG.  Alot of the spice packs out there have MSG in them, and I am looking for a good recipe without it.  If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Jim
OMG

Lehighton.

We just moved from Lehighton after living there the past 9 years. I miss my neighbor but not the cold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky