next project: Summer Sausage, and I need some advise

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by jimalbert, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jimalbert

jimalbert Meat Mopper

Fortunately, 3 deer came my way on Saturday.  Weird story, but I shot one, and while my uncle and I were quartering the deer I shot, 2 deer were hit 50 yards from his front door, so of course we weren't going to let it spoil so we picked them up.  We had steaks from a previous deer, so we decided to grind it into burger (except for the sweet meat and back straps).  So my problem is this, I now have 165 pounds of hamburger, and need to make some summer sausage (which i have never made before).  2nd thing is that my uncles wife, and kids for a matter of fact, cannot have MSG.  Alot of the spice packs out there have MSG in them, and I am looking for a good recipe without it.  If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Jim

2. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
  3. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

4. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

5. If your looking for a kit the Cabelas Summer Sausage does not have MSG.  I just made it today and the flavor is great!  I'm sure it will improve even more over the next few days.  The kit includes casings, seasoning and cure. 

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I would recommend Joel's (solaryellow) recipe for I have tried it and it's pretty darn good. Now I ave also used the hi-moutian kit a couple of times and it came out pretty good too.

7. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OMG

Lehighton.

We just moved from Lehighton after living there the past 9 years. I miss my neighbor but not the cold.