Newbie with smoking meat interest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tim65gt

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
El Paso, TX
Hi. New to the forum and smoking meat. I thought I would start by trying out a 4 lb brisket on my propane grill. I wanted to see if I would like it before investing in a dedicated smoker.

Anyway, it's a 4 burner Charbroil propane grill I removed the right grill for now and re-positioned the heat dispersion plates to adjust the smoke box.

I made the smoke box with a 4x4x8" aluminum throw-away pan with holes poked in it. I put hickory chips that I soaked overnight in it and covered it with aluminum foil and poked some holes in it too. I got it sitting about 2" above the far right burner.

I put a drip pan under the left grill and got it pre-heated with the left two burners and got the smoke going. Then put the meat (rubbed with seasoning) sitting on left. I adjusted the far right burner only the keep the temp between 225 and 275.

So far I'm about an hour into it. I've had to adjust the height of the smoke box a couple times (too much smoke)

Love the site! Wish me luck!

good luck! I am new too but have no clue what I am doing at leats you know the basics lol! let me know how it turns out! im sure it will be great!

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!  Would you mind updating your profile to show where you are located? You just might meet some neighbors!

Also....sign up for Jeff's E-course.  It's great and you will learn so much for it!  http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Thanks for the Welcomes ;)

I updated my profile with my location and my avatar with a pic of my result.

Wel I finished my first smoking meat project on my gas grill and it has me interested enough to look for a dedicated smoker.

The meat came out with great smoked flavor, but was a tad dry. I learned a lot and am hopeing to pick up a LOT more advise by checking out all the great info right here on SMF!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky