Newb Looking @ Offsets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Izzyjoe

Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
I am in a unique situation where I will be returning to the states around October (Wyoming or Montana), been out of the country for the last 6 years. In that time, I have found a liking for bbq. I was using a small traeger for about 3 yrs then I went to a PK Texas which I still have. I know when I get back I plan on getting a few grills (LSG Santa Maria and maybe LSG Pellet grill)...I have had my heart set on the WorkHorse Pit 1975, and I have watched every youtube video I can find about the freaking thing, and I actually like it (cowboy grill and the thickness). However I stumbled onto the videos for the TMG pits, and I love those as well especially the fact that you can customize as you see fit and they will accommodate, plus I really like the shape of the copperhead. Which one would you get if you had the option? I am the buy ones cry ones type....and I am in a good situation to be able to get it....Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated just so I can make the right choice the first time...Trying to get these not cause am going to be a BBQ pit master or be in competitions, these are strictly just for my enjoyment....

Reactions: JLeonard
If you’re looking at offsets I would take a look at HBT Smokers. I bought their Deluxe model a few years ago and have been very happy with that decision. They will do any modification you might want, for example I didn’t like the 1/4” diamond plate so they made mine out of 1/4” rolled steel, no extra charge.
It’s a very well built smoker.
Gordon

I don't have a dog in this fight, sold my SQ36 offset last year. If I was ever in the market I'd get that WorkHorse Pit 1975 and call it good, they look pretty fine to me. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Wasn't someone selling a Lang out that way not too long ago?

Lot's of firepower in that price range! Franklin, Goldies, MillScale, Workhorse, etc....

I'd love to be able to afford any of them but they are just way out of my league.

I have a TMG Pits Copperhead 52" and I am very happy with it. I looked at Lang, LSG, Yoder and a couple more, but Brandon with TMG was the only one who answered the phone every time when I called. He was happy to answer all my questions and would talk to me as long as I wanted to. The others, I left messages and mostly they wanted to do everything by email.

I absolutely would've bought a Lang...if they would've just answered the phone. Still get emails from them, though...

Last edited:
Reactions: ReelFaster
Just looked them up, beautiful pits! There are pits that are somewhat affordable but a stretch for me, but what kills it and throws it out of my league completely is the shipping.

Right now am going back and forth with the Old Country G2, it's got many features I want but the cooking chamber is actually smaller by a tad than my Okie Joe. If anything I'd want to add more space.

There are pits that are somewhat affordable but a stretch for me, but what kills it and throws it out of my league completely is the shipping.
Fortunately for me, I live "close" enough that me and a buddy went to their shop and picked it up. 6 hour drive each way may not have really saved me much money, but I'm somewhat familiar with metal fabrication (not a welder, though) so it was also a chance to see their shop...

Reactions: ReelFaster
I am sure you saved $$ for sure. I've been quoted $1 a mile so many of the pit makers are down in Dixie by you and many in Texas. From Texas that's roughly $1400 for shipping almost the cost of the smoker.

Unfortunately not many makers up here in NJ. I did find one but their base model was $3,500. Few local fabricators making pits but I am just Leary I don't know the quality of the work and their design and prefer to go with a tried and true name brand maker when spending that kind of $$

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky