new wsm owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imjesse1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Waukesha wi.
man this thing is easy, was going to buy a nanoQ but i dont think ill need it

only issue i have is 1/2 way through my 1st smoke today, less than 24 hours since i bought it i have rust creaping up the lid and coming from the welded handles

has anyone had this problem?

i really dont care because ive never heard of this and steins is replacing it for me.

i am looking into the nanoQ i would have ordered last night as i was sold on it but it looks like the fan is sold seperate and i didnt really wanna spend 200$ 

the ease of this thing i think ill just master it 

i already left it alone for a few hours with no issues

i ordered the door gasket and im going to use the (lamp repair kit) mod for my thermo leads

lol almost had to sleep in the garage after wife saw the price

awesome smoker!

You have to be careful when you are putting the WSM together so as not to fracture the ceramic paint.  If bolts are overtightened they will crack the paint and cause issues like you have experienced.

The people who put together this floor model could care less about the quality of your smoker...

Once again...good choice on the return...this time put it together yourself, with great care.

BTW, some of that isn't rust...it is part of the breaking in process of the WSM.  When you start smoking in a WSM early on, it is really good to see that chocolate looking coating on the inside...that is part of seasoning one of the best smokers you will ever own!  Eventually, you will need to just hose off the inside because it will flake a little, but again, all part of being a WSM owner.

Bill

Last edited:
I have a video that really shows just how bad it is, but I don't know how to post it without a link to YouTube,
I don't want it on YouTube because I don't want to bring a bad name to the WSM product

I know it's just a fluke, weber is replacing all of the shell ; the lid, center ring,and the bottom
So I'm not really mad about it.
Plus I get to keep all the old stuff, maybe use parts for mods..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky