New smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you use chunks or chips with the gravity fed charcoal deals?
chunks and sometimes small spits with the briquettes. It is a charcoal hog and if I was doing several cooks a week I would probably have a Reqtec. I stole the MB800 from walmart about this time a year for $347 on end of season clearance. Just like I stole my Blackstone 36 pro from them for $297 a couple years ago.

Reactions: tpc74
I’d say Rec Tec is the best bang for the buck. Had mine for several years no issues

Been poking around on their site. I do have a question. They say they have a maximum temp of 700F. Is the reasonable to think it will actually go that high? Seems awfully high for an electric.

Also can these be run as a grill without pellets? Or does the auger keep trying to run? Forgive me, new to the concept of pellet smokers.

My buddy takes off hours away and occasionally I'll get a call to pulled the meat and Cambro it lol
BTW On that bottom rack (the one that broke) I used a glaze of gochujang Korean paste mixed with your hot honey and smoky habanero...very tasty.

Reactions: jcam222
Been poking around on their site. I do have a question. They say they have a maximum temp of 700F. Is the reasonable to think it will actually go that high? Seems awfully high for an electric.

Also can these be run as a grill without pellets? Or does the auger keep trying to run? Forgive me, new to the concept of pellet smokers.
You can get it to 700F, but you want to be careful. I'd echo what other's have said about going that high. I'm not really sure why anyone would want their grill to go that high, unless you're trying some self cleaning....something...? I can get my Kamado Joe that high, but only to burn off crap that has built up over a year of grilling. I'll sear steak at 450-500 without an issue, but had a grease fire once (which could happen to any grill) so again....be careful.

I have both a RT1250, and a MB1050. The MB works great, just have to keep it inside since they are a little temperamental with the elements and hate dragging it in and out. They also eat up a lot of charcoal. One thing they do have is the option for a rotisserie. I bought one a couple months back and have yet to use it but I really wish I had a heavy duty rotisserie on the RecTec for something like a turkey. I'm not sure the MB would handle a turkey, but should be able to handle a good rib roast without an issue.

I would say 700F is accurate
As mentioned before, it is not an electric grill, it is a pellet grill.
The electricity is for the controller and to drive the auger motor to feed pellets into the burn chamber.

I have owned 3 Memphis Grills. First could go up to 650F and the other two up to 700F.
They were double walled stainless steel and had no issues with discoloring the SS.
The only time I used that high of heat was when making pizza.
Not necessary for steaks, they will sear nicely at 450-500F.

Don't know if the RecTeq has it, but the Memphis pellet grills had an "Open Flame" mode.
Goes above 700F and you are cooking directly over the burn pot and auger feeding pellets into it 100% of the time.
You cannot close the lid in Open Flame mode or you will damage the unit.

Thanks all. I think I've decided on the Recteq Deck Boss 590. Now just have to find a sale, and convince the wife to purchase it! I'll have to find a decent cover so it can reside outside. I tried to keep the MES40 outside but that was very short lived because the cover is about as porus as strainer. I even waterproofed it to no avail.

Its either than or I officially retire the MES40. Garage is a game of tetris as it is lol.

Ok back to this again. Going to get one of these three:

Recteq Deck Boss 590: https://www.recteq.com/products/deck-boss-590

Or

Traeger Pro 575: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/pellet-grills/8016779

Traeger Pro 780: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/pellet-grills/8016774

The differences I can see is the traeger has 2 levels vs 1 for the deck boss, and the traeger has a "smoke stack" vs just slits in the back for the recteq. I know the recteq doesn't come with a cover, but I don't think the traeger does either?

They both have what seem to be updated controllers. I don't know if I need the size of the 780 from what I do, but I do like the 2 levels which both traegers have. Of course the 590 has to be ordered, whereas I can pick up the traeger tommorrow. Price is comparable with the smaller traeger a little cheaper.

I know the recteq has the stainless steel stuff, so not sure how the traeger holds up in comparision, but the camp chef my dad has sits outside uncovered all the time and hasn't rusted through. I do plan on leaving whatever one I get outside but covered year around including michigan winters.

Thoughts? I am sure the wife would prefer the smaller traeger as she is buying it, but basically told me to pick one.

Ok back to this again. Going to get one of these three:

Recteq Deck Boss 590: https://www.recteq.com/products/deck-boss-590

Or

Traeger Pro 575: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/pellet-grills/8016779

Traeger Pro 780: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/pellet-grills/8016774

The differences I can see is the traeger has 2 levels vs 1 for the deck boss, and the traeger has a "smoke stack" vs just slits in the back for the recteq. I know the recteq doesn't come with a cover, but I don't think the traeger does either?

They both have what seem to be updated controllers. I don't know if I need the size of the 780 from what I do, but I do like the 2 levels which both traegers have. Of course the 590 has to be ordered, whereas I can pick up the traeger tommorrow. Price is comparable with the smaller traeger a little cheaper.

I know the recteq has the stainless steel stuff, so not sure how the traeger holds up in comparision, but the camp chef my dad has sits outside uncovered all the time and hasn't rusted through. I do plan on leaving whatever one I get outside but covered year around including michigan winters.

Thoughts? I am sure the wife would prefer the smaller traeger as she is buying it, but basically told me to pick one.
RecTec all day long. Traeger isn’t in the same category as rec tec. The reliability, consistency of temp control and the customer service sets it apart.

Just a question about the apps (if you know either one), do you have to be within wifi range to use/monitor it?

For instance, if I have to run to the store for few minutes, can I check the app on my phone?

I'll be the odd man on this one and suggest the Kamado Joe. They come with everything you need and lump charcoal is cheaper than pellets. I bought two bags of lump charcoal and it took several months to use it up.

Being a ceramic cooker, there is little to worry about where the elements are concerned and my cover has protected it well.

Here's a couple of shots of how it looks today at seven years old.
20210308_155815.jpg

FB_IMG_1578156089659.jpg

20220424_165401.jpg

Just a question about the apps (if you know either one), do you have to be within wifi range to use/monitor it?

For instance, if I have to run to the store for few minutes, can I check the app on my phone?
With the Recteq the unit has to be in wifi range then you can control it via the phone from anywhere cell coverage

The RT is a top self unit compared to the ones you are looking at…

I saw this morning that the Weber SmokeFires are on sale .
EX4 for $696.00 is a killer deal . Fantastic pellet grill with some top shelf features .
Works great as a grill or smoker and super easy to clean .

Ordered the DeckBoss 590. To anyone that has one, do you leave pellets in the hopper? What is the best way to get them out of the hopper and auger tube?

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky