New smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
Not sure this is the correct forum, but thought I’d give it a shot.

Looking for a recommendation for a new smoker. Currently running an old school mes40. I love it, mainly because it used to be my dad’s, before he got a camp chef pellet deal. (Quite honestly I think this one performs better).

I think the wife might want to get me one for Christmas this year. So before she asks if thought I’d inquire here.

I’ve had a dual fuel (propane/charcoal), and I’ve done the Weber grill thing with charcoal. Of all of those I like the mes40 best.

The best ideas would be something she could get on Amazon (she loves this) or the local ace hardware, they sell treagor, big green egg, etc. or Home Depot/Lowe’s that seem to concentrate on masterbuilt.

I’ve heard the treagors are nice but my dad’s camp chef seems a dud. There is a lot of smoke leakage around the door—seems by design there is no seal (though treagor seems identical).

It also seems that a lot use pellets? I’m kinda partial to chips, but I can see the advantage there.

My requirements are pretty simple, not a lot of babysitting, and something that can remain in the elements year round (with a cover). I prefer chips but I can change. I also like gadgetry. Throw a touch screen in there, remote control from my phone…anything like that and I’m down. I’m a geek like that.

Any suggestions? Something under $1k would be nice, closer to $500 would make it more likely I might get it lol.

Reactions: JLeonard
This is absolutely the right forum. :emoji_point_up::emoji_point_up::emoji_point_up: what he sad! RecTeq is a quality brand and they have really solid customer service. I have a 1250 and it does pretty much everything I could ever want, but its a bit above your $1000 mark.... (actually just checked and its on sale for about $1200 and might go lower closer Christmas). Its a lot of grill, a lot more than some people need, and they have smaller units for less.

I've had a high end Traeger in the past, but I'm pretty sure I'll never go back.

Best of luck!!

Reactions: culpepersmoke
Don't keep up on equipment much.
If you want off the shelf set and forget, a quality pellet pooper (grill) is your first look.
Rec Teq has a great reputation, especially on the SMF.
Green Mountain is an almost forgotten brand on SMF with a great reputation as well.
If you want more phone monitoring stuff, look into the numerous brand of remote temperature monitors
Check out InkBird, Fireboard, and Thermoworks are a few brands I recall.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'll throw in a recommendation for a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. Charcoal fired with hardwood chunks making the smoke. Turns out great food. Doesn't take a lot of babysitting, I can run mine unattended for 3 hours at a time; better cooks than I can run it a lot longer without doing anything to it..but it's rare for the food inside to not need some sort of attention every few hours anyway. The 18" seems to be the sweet spot for most folks, they sell for about $400. Move up to the 22" if you do a lot of big cooks or want larger racks of ribs to lie flat.

Green Mountain is a quality brand that's what I had before I got a RecTeq. During the pandemic I waited 4 months for a part. I ordered an RT and sold the GM when I got it fixed. The RT has a really good wifi app also.

You could always mod out your current MES with a nice Auber PID controller.You could also add an Amazen tray or tube and not have to constantly load chips.

Reactions: mosparky
Not sure this is the correct forum, but thought I’d give it a shot.

Looking for a recommendation for a new smoker. Currently running an old school mes40. I love it, mainly because it used to be my dad’s, before he got a camp chef pellet deal. (Quite honestly I think this one performs better).

I think the wife might want to get me one for Christmas this year. So before she asks if thought I’d inquire here.

I’ve had a dual fuel (propane/charcoal), and I’ve done the Weber grill thing with charcoal. Of all of those I like the mes40 best.

The best ideas would be something she could get on Amazon (she loves this) or the local ace hardware, they sell treagor, big green egg, etc. or Home Depot/Lowe’s that seem to concentrate on masterbuilt.

I’ve heard the treagors are nice but my dad’s camp chef seems a dud. There is a lot of smoke leakage around the door—seems by design there is no seal (though treagor seems identical).

It also seems that a lot use pellets? I’m kinda partial to chips, but I can see the advantage there.

My requirements are pretty simple, not a lot of babysitting, and something that can remain in the elements year round (with a cover). I prefer chips but I can change. I also like gadgetry. Throw a touch screen in there, remote control from my phone…anything like that and I’m down. I’m a geek like that.

Any suggestions? Something under $1k would be nice, closer to $500 would make it more likely I might get it lol.
break out the popcorn..... you're going to get a bunch of varying opinions. I've had about one of everything from vertical offset, to egg, and offset reverse flow stick burner. I thought my world had changed when I stumbled across a Masterbuilt gravity fed, MB560 for $300 at home depot.
They are charcoal pigs, and opinions vary on getting the best "smoke" using one. With that said, after following the enablers here on the forum, I decided to try a WSM 18".
While typing this, my WSM18" is stoking up for a slab of ribs. I only wished I'd dropped dime on the 22" job. Good luck on your decision, you're in the right place to become "enabled".
grill family.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Rec Teq or Yoder for pellet and Masterbuilt gravity feed for hands off charcoal / wood chunks. If it were me I'd lean Masterbuilt as it's the best of flavor with charcoal and wood but pretty much set and forget hands off with digital display. Pretty sure it has an app too. All of these will put out good Q but the stuff off my buddies MB is as close to stick burner quality as I've ever seen.

Reactions: fxsales1959
Rec Teq or Yoder for pellet and Masterbuilt gravity feed for hands off charcoal / wood chunks. If it were me I'd lean Masterbuilt as it's the best of flavor with charcoal and wood but pretty much set and forget hands off with digital display. Pretty sure it has an app too. All of these will put out good Q but the stuff off my buddies MB is as close to stick burner quality as I've ever seen.
Yes they have an app, I can check and change temps from any where.

Reactions: jcam222
If you're looking to replace the MES, get an analog Smokin-It. A SI #2 will be a good equivalent to than your MES40.
Great point. Smokin It, Smokin Tex and Cookshack would be great options if you love your electric smoker. All stainless construction is nice.i just bought a used Smokin Tex 1400 and the build quality is very nice.

Thanks all, you have given me a lot to think about! As for upgrading the MES, I could do that. But I feel like its not going to last forever, and I haven't been able to find parts. I did upgrade the racks, but the water pan has a small hole in it, which is fine as long as I don't rip the foil I line it with. Lately just been using a slightly smaller aluminum pan for this. I'll likely never get rid of it unless something really bad happens with it.

I just want something different, something new. I like the idea of charcoal and I'm interested in the automatic ones, but when I had my dual fuel it was a constant battle to get the airflow just right. Usually resulting in a lot of babysitting as the chunks would like to catch fire.

Thanks all, you have given me a lot to think about! As for upgrading the MES, I could do that. But I feel like its not going to last forever, and I haven't been able to find parts. I did upgrade the racks, but the water pan has a small hole in it, which is fine as long as I don't rip the foil I line it with. Lately just been using a slightly smaller aluminum pan for this. I'll likely never get rid of it unless something really bad happens with it.

I just want something different, something new. I like the idea of charcoal and I'm interested in the automatic ones, but when I had my dual fuel it was a constant battle to get the airflow just right. Usually resulting in a lot of babysitting as the chunks would like to catch fire.
My buddy uses his MB GRavity feed dang near set and forget.

Reactions: millerbuilds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky