New Smoker Modification/Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reidwacker

Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
CT / NY
Hi all,

Looking for advice on a couple ideas I have for smoker modifications. 

Just purchased a new offset. (below) 

I really like this smoker, it's 1 of 3 made at a local welding shop. 

but... there's a few things I'd like to modify. 

1. The firebox door:

As you an probably see. the firebox door is on the front panel. This makes it difficult to add charcoal or wood to the back of the firebox. 

I was considering cutting a new door on the top of the box to allow for easier access. The front door also limits the size of the charcoal basket I can fit.. which makes for shorter smoking timer per basket. My major concern is that cutting a new door on top would allow to much heat to escape before getting to the smoking chamber. I would of course be adding silicone or fiberglass gasketing around the door edge. Any advice??

2. No drainage in the bottom of the smoking chamber

There is no way to drain out any water or other fluids that are under the grate in the smoking chamber. This makes it a real hassle to clean or rinse out the smoker. The first time I used it I had to use a wet vac to suck out all the water after cleaning it out. I'm planning on drilling a couple holes in the bottom of the chamber and was wondering if that would cause any problems with the heat or smoke control? If I need to I can add a simple sliding cover to the holes. 

3. Can I add  a stove top burner on top of the firebox?

The top of the firebox adds a 2nd "counter top" to the smoker... however while smoking, the top of the firebox is obviously very hot. The only use for it that I can think of is a stove top to boil water etc. Is it possible to simply weld a steel/cast iron disk to the top of the firebox to make a stove burner? And if so, does this compromise the heat transfer into the smoking transfer? Judging by the heat that the firebox top already emits, I would assume its safe to boil water with that heat without compromising the smoking process. Has anyone ever attempted to do this? 

Other questions:

- I've only owned a vertical water smoker up to this point. Without the steam in the smoking chamber, should I be adding juices to the meat during the smoke? or should I add a water dish to the new smoker?

- In the charcoal basket, do you prefer a 'snake' technique or to simple add lit charcoal to a corner of the basket?

- In your opinion, what wood creates the best result for brisket? 

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

(Please excuse any stupidity in my questions as I'm a dumb college kid who's only been smoking for about 2 years now)

All the Best, 

Reidwacker

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky