New Smoker -- Initial Mods Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
smoker.jpg
Hi all,

So my better half indulged me this past weekend with an early birthday present, this cheap offset smoker to practice on while I'm newbie-ing my way through my first season of this hobby! It's a Char Griller Smokin' Champ model. I did a lot of Googling around (and spent a few minutes here in chat picking some available brains) about what, if any, modifications to make before we get started. Life has interfered (these people at my office, they just expect me to WORK every day, when I have more interesting things to do at home with MEAT!) and we're camping this weekend, so it'll be the last weekend of this month before we can even get the thing fully assembled... plenty of time for more input from you folks!

Here are some of the things we were thinking about doing...

1. Install a piece of metal hosing from the stovepipe to route the smoke more efficiently through the chamber before it exits the cookbox.

2. Install some additional, externally mounted thermometers down closer to the level of the food (yes, I know they'll never be exact, and I'll use a proper internal thermometer I promise, but I like the idea of having a ballpark idea of what's happening there).

3. Apply some high-heat silicone sealant around the edges where the lids meet the boxes to help with temperature regulation (apparently these are very leaky).

4. Sand down the inside of the fire box a bit and apply additional heat-resistant paint (though several folks have said NOT to do this until and if I see evidence that it's starting to sustain heat damage).

So... which of these is worth trying? Or should I do as has already been suggested and season it and try it out, then look at the mods? It seems to me that at the very least, I want to put that extended hose in there to cycle the smoke around better, but I'm hear to learn. Thanks in advance!

Sunny

Hi SunnyDC my personal opinion is to try it first but most important is to fire it up and season it before you cook anything to get rid of manufacturing oils and other things.

Warren

Reactions: SunnyDC
Hi SunnyDC my personal opinion is to try it first but most important is to fire it up and season it before you cook anything to get rid of manufacturing oils and other things.

Warren

Oh, definitely. I have a feeling it would be yucky if I didn't. The models in the store (that I could actually reach!) were all really stinky and chemically smelling... obviously they have stuff in them I don't want in our food! :) Thank you!

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I like to try something out before I begin modifying it.

If you have a fireside shop around you, you might be able to buy some Wood Stove firebox lining bricks to lay in the offset chamber. That helps to insulate the chamber so it doesn't burn through too fast.

They make gasket you could use if you feel the lid is too loose. I'm more prone to working the metal into a better fit, first. And there are clamps you could add to hold the lid tighter. (I would remove the rubber tips, or replace that part with carriage bolts)

I wouldn't bother with adding mounted thermometers. Instead, get yourself some of the spiffy WiFi type thermometers.
You could get a 4 probe that has a pit thermocouple probe, and 3 meat type probes. That way, if any get funky of go bad, they are easier to change of deal with. Plus they can be moved around, which can be a huge advantage.

Uhh, no to the hose. Just let the smoke meander it's way out.

Reactions: SunnyDC
Like was said. Burn in it first to see where and if it does leak and to season the smoker, don't bother with the paint inside the firebox, wait on the therms and do the probes, better to know the temp of the meat, But you may want to get two and place inside to see how hot from one end to the other you are. One mod is the firebox get a better grate that the wood/charcoal burns on top of, smaller holes so only ash falls to the bottom and you get more burn time out of the wood/charcoal.

Great smoker I have one and use it during the summer months and my over night smokes with the buddies, manly just a night of smoking food and eating!

good luck!!

Years ago, I got a similar smoker at HD on clearance and after a few test firings and cooks, I made a couple mods that really helped me control and focus heat:

Added a 1/4 inch plate right over the fire in the fire box. The thin metal really allowed alot of heat to escape so the smoke chamber never got as much heat as I wanted. Once I put this in, it did much better.
View media item 554367
Next, I made some tuning plates to even out the temps along the whole chamber.
View media item 554368
Also added some ceramic briquettes all along the bottom but I never did get a picture of them in place.

Just practice and play with it. I didn't spend alot on these initial mods because I kinda knew I would be getting alot more BBQ toys..... and I have.

Enjoy!!

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky