Stove Pipe’s Purpose?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bslman74

Original poster
Aug 14, 2023
hey all!
I am new to this site/forum and also quite new to smoking in general….I apologize in advance if these questions have obvious answers or are odd. I’m just (over)thinking through the design as I go.
I have an outdoor fireplace in my backyard/patio area that is attached to the house. It has a full sized chimney just like a normal indoor fireplace. Only real difference is it’s on the patio outside inside of inside. Pretty interesting and unique thing to my house.
I am converting it into a pizza oven/BBQ/smoker. At the top of the hearth I’ll be closing it up except for a stovepipe.
I planned on adding a 4 or 5” diameter stovepipe going into the chimney (which obviously has a much larger diameter) but only having the stovepipe go up a couple feet (leaving maybe 15ish feet from the end of the stovepipe to the end of the chimney).

My question is: Is this ok, or would it be necessary for some reason to extend the stovepipe alllll the way out the top of the fireplace’s chimney?
I know that the stovepipe’s purpose is to #1: Help micro-regulate temp with the damper, #2: Help create airflow/current from the fire, through the meat, and out, and the very obviously #3: give the smoke a place to go.

So maybe my real question is: do I need the stovepipe sticking out the top of the chimney to allow air and wind to blow across the stovepipe opening to kind of help pull the smoke/heat through? Is that also a function of the stovepipe?

Thank you all for the help! It’s been a fun project so far and is kind of an experiment.

I find the most important benefit of a shorter stovepipe that it's easier to clean. It's also less likely to be damaged by the wind. However, it may be more difficult to control the temperature of the smoker, and the smoke may be more likely to blow back into the smoker:(

When I was building smth like this, I just considered using safe materials and a thermometer, ventilating well, and experimenting with wood and cooking times.
That's the most important points, I think.
Good luck and enjoy your new smoker!*

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky