New guy question: Ribs from a "Prime Rib" roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tonycanevaro

Original poster
May 23, 2011
Okotoks, Alberta
So, in my exctement over my super cheap smoker find, I bought a rack of ribs that were labeled "Prime Rib - ribs" I assume these came off a prime rib roast. So, suggestion on best way to smoke these, wood ( I have apple and Maple), rub (sugar free please), etc. I'll be using my Brinkman Gourmet Charcoal. How long, etc.

I do have a decent temperature probe so won't have to rely on the on board thermostat.

Thanks all!

First off welcome to SMF its nice to have ya..  If it were me i think i would do them beef ribs just like spare ribs.. I would do a 3-2-1 method..  Witch is 3 hours on the smoker. (smoker temp 230) than pull them off wrap in foil with some apple juice beer or what ever u like. put them back on the smoker for 2 hours. Thank pull them off and put back on smoker with out the foil for 1 hour.. (3-2-1).. Hope this helps ya..

Don't you dare do a 3-2-1 on them.
jedismily.gif

You're talking Prime Rib here baby!!

bc97fb85_BeefBackedRibs0012.jpg

I sure wouldn't want a well done Prime Rib. No sir. Smoke them to about a 140º internal at most, wrap and let rest.

You can even put these bad boys on a grill after marinading them for a while.

d482e984_PrimeBone017.jpg

These came in a rack of 4 ribs, I had them sectioned though.

Try them the way Flash did them (They look great), but don't let him scare you away from trying the 3-2-1 with them.

That's the way I do them.

Let's not forget. Most of the time they are loaded with fat. We shouldn't eat fat, but I do. However I would not want to eat any fat at 140˚.

I have been know to make a Ribeye Rare, and then put the bone with the fat on it back on the grill, and make it real well done.  It seems to open my arteries up!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

I've done some this weekend for the first time (Sorry no pics, the camera's out). i rubbed them with EVOO and Montreal Steak Spices. 225-230 with the 3-2-1- method, and they were amazing. Tender, juicy, fall off the bone delicious. I think I like em even better than pork ribs.

Try them the way Flash did them (They look great), but don't let him scare you away from trying the 3-2-1 with them.

That's the way I do them.

Let's not forget. Most of the time they are loaded with fat. We shouldn't eat fat, but I do. However I would not want to eat any fat at 140˚.

I have been know to make a Ribeye Rare, and then put the bone with the fat on it back on the grill, and make it real well done.  It seems to open my arteries up!  
biggrin.gif

Bear
X2 
kewl.gif

Well if he sections them off like we do, he can try them several ways. I just know I never did a 3-2-1 with them. There is no need to "tenderize" them. It's PRIME Rib. Even off the Grill they were very tender and moist and Bear, just like a steak, you cut around the fat and don't consume it. These ribs are thick enough to put a meat probe in an get an temp reading, thus the 140º for a nice medium rare.

Last edited:
Well if he sections them off like we do, he can try them several ways. I just know I never did a 3-2-1 with them. There is no need to "tenderize" them. It's PRIME Rib. Even off the Grill they were very tender and moist and Bear, just like a steak, you cut around the fat and don't consume it. These ribs are thick enough to put a meat probe in an get an temp reading, thus the 140º for a nice medium rare.
I agree, your's look great, like I said.

That's why I didn't say "Don't you dare do them the way Flash does them".

I repeat---Yours Look Great !

Bear

I agree on avoiding the 3-2-1 method, but that's my personal taste. If you like pot roast, by all means have at it.

I'd do a little celery salt, garlic powder and pepper, then smoke low and slow to about 125˚.  I'd have a rocket hot grill standing by for a 2 minute sear on each side. I'd then wrap them in foil and let them rest for 30 minutes.

Later, I'd lock myself in an oak paneled room with a crackling fire in a large stone fireplace. On the table in front of my leather chair would be the ribs, a small Caesar's salad, copious quantities of  peppery Syrah and single malt whisky (Speyside, thank you very much) and a marble ashtray containing a single Cuban cigar, a cutter and one wooden match. The dog would posted at the door with strict instructions to bite the hind quarters of anyone attempting to enter.

Last edited:
I agree on avoiding the 3-2-1 method, but that's my personal taste. If you like pot roast, by all means have at it.

I'd do a little celery salt, garlic powder and pepper, then smoke low and slow to about 125˚.  I'd have a rocket hot grill standing by for a 2 minute sear on each side. I'd then wrap them in foil and let them rest for 30 minutes.

Later, I'd lock myself in an oak paneled room with a crackling fire in a large stone fireplace. On the table in front of my leather chair would be the ribs, a small Caesar's salad, copious quantities of  peppery Syrah and single malt whisky (Speyside, thank you very much) and a marble ashtray containing a single Cuban cigar, a cutter and one wooden match. The dog would posted at the door with strict instructions to bite the hind quarters of anyone attempting to enter.
That, right there sounds awesome and funny ;)

I've done some this weekend for the first time (Sorry no pics, the camera's out). i rubbed them with EVOO and Montreal Steak Spices. 225-230 with the 3-2-1- method, and they were amazing. Tender, juicy, fall off the bone delicious. I think I like em even better than pork ribs.

Exactly how I seasoned mine

Mine was more like a 2-2-10 minute

I started around 150° with apple wood smoke, foiled them for a couple hours at 225° and finished them on the grill(Low Heat) for about 5 minutes on each side, rather than and hour without foil.  They get a nice bark on them and I really like the results.

Freeking Awesome!!

Keep it simple and let the meat do it's thing!

Todd

Last edited:
Wow, good stuff here. Thanks guys! I'll be sure to take pics. Might try em this weekend depending on weather.

What exactly does the weather have to do with it.

Make a plan and stick with it....Rain or Shine!

TJ

LOL---Hope you'll excuse all of us dummies for turning our ribs into pot roast.

Bear

Just a thought.  Remember that the term "prime rib" has nothing to do with the quality grading of the meat.  "Prime rib" can come from the carcass of a "select" graded beef.  The term "prime rib" is simply a marketing term.  At best it means the meat comes from a good area of that particular carcass regardless of how high or low the carcass is graded.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky