New guy in VA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seaninva

Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Gloucester, Virginia
Hello,

The name's Sean, I live in VA and just got started smoking late this summer. My father-in-law and bro-in-law joined up for one of the amateur KC bbq competitions out here this year and they did alright for their first showing. I got interested, and started off by smoking inside my CG Duo. I have the side firebox, but never attached it, so I'm burning and cooking in the single chamber all together. It really limits my space, but so far it's working out well.

I have done no mods yet, and probably won't. I've actually gotten fairly decent at controlling the temps in this thing. I use one or two bricks on the coal tray/pan to help hold and regulate heat. I don't use a water pan at all. Though, I do sometimes have to prop the lid open if the heat spikes.

So far, I've smoked up several racks of ribs - the first of which I did with no meat thermometer and wild range of temps, and everyone said they tasted better than anything my father-in-law has done, and he's been smoking for 30 years. Haven't been able to quite reproduce that first attempt - beginners luck? :)

I've also smoked a deer roast that came out amazing. A small 3ish pound brisket, pork tenderloin (came out amazing). Just about every weekend now, I'm smoking something. Today is ribs again!

I like to experiment in everything I do, so I've already tried a few different methods - like the minion method - doesn't work so well when you have to keep opening the lid! Ended up catching the whole dang pile on fire - there's 400+ easy lol.

Glad to be here and hoping to learn from all here and maybe one day I can contribute some help as well.

Welcome from SC, Sean. This is a great site with lots of folks who are always eager to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep reading. It really sounds like you're off to a great start.

Good luck and keep on smokin', Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky