New dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moresmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
North Mississippi
Never used a dehydrator, always smoke my jerky and finished in oven with door cracked until I get the consistency I want. Last round of beef jerky on dehydrator was tough as a corn cob. I'm thinking the meat market sliced the grain wrong this time or I dried it too long? Top round roast, highest setting on six tray dehydrator 155 degrees for six and half hours. Any ideas on what I could do different?
15160455376361980934995.jpg

The tough meat could be the fault of the slaughter house... The meat needs to go completely through rigor... If that ain't done, shoe-leather....

I just did a batch in my new dehydrator yesterday. only had it in about 4 1/4
hours and then into the fridge for about 20 minutes , meat was about 1/4 "
thick . came out perfect , the last time I tried it you could drop a piece on the
floor and it would break like glass, LOL I think I dried it way to long , it was in
like 7 hrs. I found that just like meat continues to cook after you pull it from
the oven , the jerky continues to dry after you pull it out , that's why I tried
sticking it in the fridge to help stop the drying process.

Before you give up, try a couple of things:
1. Cut the meat yourself.
Possibly the "butcher" wasn't a butcher, but someone who did not understand to cut the meat across the grain to make it easier to consume. Cutting Jerky seems to be beneath many among the Cleveroligists.
An automatic slicer has no brain to read the grain in whole meat muscle. If whole meat muscle is cut with the grain it can be near impossible to tear it off with your teeth. And I suspect these things may have happened to your meat.

2. Try some ground beef Jerky.
It's a little tricky in getting the taste 'right'. But it's can be really easy. Some of my earliest batches tasted more like hamburger than jerky. But I found a recipe I like for burger Jerky, and I've added a touch of heat with (1/2 tsp) Cyan pepper powder, and some (1/4 tsp) Smoked Paprika.
But you can mix it, and flatten it out right away, rack it, dry it, and enjoy it. No marinading required. (I do prefer to let mine rest in the fridge for an hour or two, to let the flavors blend.)
Now, you do want to get the leanest ground beef you can. Sams Club sell lean ground beef that is 90/10. But a local Butcher shop sells 93/7. So that second number wants to be as small as you can find. More meat, less fat.

If you use pre-packaged Jerky Seasoning everything is there, just follow the instructions.
But I like to be.. um.. adventurous. So I finally got some Prague Powder, and that's the basis for many Jerky recipes. I've read where it adds a distinctive flavor to the meat as well as help preserve it. Others say it adds no taste.
My Jerky tastes better, to me, with it. And it comes in a pound plastic jar. But only takes 1/4 tsp per pound.
But do not add it to pre-packaged seasonings. And do not use it for other things.

The first thing I did with my new dehydrator was fruit. It was something our 4 year old granddaughter could help with. I cut, she placed the pieces. Then I made some fruit roll ups. Before making Jerky.
Fruit roll-ups taught me the need to grease my racks or trays. Now I don't put anything on bare-footed. I take some cooking oil, put a dab on a folded paper towel, and moisten the racks where food will rest.
Or lay down some parchment paper for fruits and purees.
Lubin the screen or racks is a step in my process. A hard learned step. :eek:

Thanks for the information, I have round two going with venison jerky. Going to try less time and check it more often. I also cut these up myself, maybe it will be a better texture!

Reactions: SonnyE
Never used a dehydrator, always smoke my jerky and finished in oven with door cracked until I get the consistency I want. Last round of beef jerky on dehydrator was tough as a corn cob. I'm thinking the meat market sliced the grain wrong this time or I dried it too long? Top round roast, highest setting on six tray dehydrator 155 degrees for six and half hours. Any ideas on what I could do different? View attachment 350517
I'm a smoker/oven jerky man.
Nice piece of equipment there.. Will hopefully work out for ya.

IMG_20180116_103507.jpg

Oh, forgot to say that I have read that rotating the trays will keep them cooking or drying evenly. :)

Last edited:
That's good looking jerky there.
Looks less dry than most I see all paper thin and hard.

You did good..:p

I myself don't care if my jerky is shelf stable. That is, "it can sit on the dashboard of your car for 3 weeks". I just make mine safe to eat and I will refrigerate it after its made. I like the meaty type. As long as it's done safe.

You also have the option of using tenderizing ingredients in your meat marinade. A jerky seasoning that consists of powdered garlic, onion, tomato puree and apple cider vinegar, along with your Worcestershire sauce and smoked paprika would work great, as well!

Another option is to tenderize your meat by using a metal mallet. As one poster mentioned, ground beef, pork and venison will produce a jerky meat that's more tender. Watch out, though, because any fat content will spoil a lot quicker (if you're concerned about shelf life).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky