Asian Chili Garlic Pork jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Started out with 34 lbs of whole pork loin. Trimmed to remove as much fat as possible which left me at 29 lbs. Sliced across grain on the slicer and then hand cut into halves or thirds depending on the size. Weighed the meat and marinade and added 1t cure #1 per 5 lbs. Marinaded for roughly 16 hours. Sprinkled a third with red pepper flake to kick up spice. All dehydrated in my new Weston Pro 1200 dehydrator. I can link to the marinade in an older post if anyone wants. Yield was roughly 14.5 lbs. I cannot sure I am keeping the dehydrator. I could not get it to hit the 160F set point even empty and run for close to two hours. Under load of even just 10 lbs of meat it never got above 140. I did preheat to 140 as well. The biggest negative of all is they have no customer service or rech support via phone. After hours I tracked down a number which was customer service that simply referred you to an online form to submit. So far it's been 3 days with no response. For $325 I am not thrilled with all that. It does have a huge capacity with 12 21 x 15 racks and I did get great jerky but just doesn't seem to operate properly. Debating mg on returning to Bed, Bath and Beyond. Anyway here's a shot of some of the finished product.
PXL_20231120_163527960.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20231120_153430443.PORTRAIT.jpg

Looks really good . Getting ready to break down a beef knuckle . Might trim heavy and make some jerky .

For that price , and the concerns you have , send it back . You can get the same aggravation for less money . Lol .
Yea likely to happen. Man I did months of research to find the capacity and power I wanted at that price point. Couldn't find any negative reviews on temps etc and BOOM I get unlucky lol. Man it was such easy cleanup too. Racks are non stick and wipe right off.

Jerky looks good. Even froze I dont know that I could stay out of it. Be eating it like a popsicle.
And for the money and not being happy with it...I'd be returning the dehydrator and looking at a different one.

Jim

Looks good Jeff, you still BB&B stores by you? all of them closed here and overstock.com bought the name

You have the recipe posted??

Warren
See if you can make out my scribbles. If not I'll type it up at some point. If you don't do sugar free you can use brown sugar instead of brown swerve. I would start with half and adjust to taste before you add cure. I also warm the marinade in a pan to develop flavor a bit. Not even a simmer just warm it for a bit and then let cool before using. Note for the cure #1 I now weigh the meat and marinade and then do 1t per 5 lbs. For the meat amounts I actually used what's wrote up for 20 lbs to do 15 lbs. Really good coverage that way. I do not pat dry before dehydrating either. I shake it off a bit and go.
PXL_20231120_200745827.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome !! I only need a couple pounds . :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:
Haha couple lbs goes fast!!
Just might have to give some jerky a try.

Warren
I really like this jerky as do many of my friends. My recipe is a mix of some posted by xray xray and steveh steveh
Looks great Jeff and I bet like you said very addictive.
Too bad about the dehydrator not doing what you had hoped, especially for the price.

David
Thanks David. Yea I am real torn on what to do. It made great jerky and the capacity is amazing. Cleanup on the non stick racks was very easy as well. So much easier than the old Nescor racks. On the downside if it actually hit temps processing would be faster and perhaps safer although with cure I'm not really concerned with the longer lower temps. The lack of customer service center concerns me probably the most of all. So far several days later and not response from their help desk system.

Jerky looks good. Even froze I dont know that I could stay out of it. Be eating it like a popsicle.
And for the money and not being happy with it...I'd be returning the dehydrator and looking at a different one.

Jim
Thanks Jim! It thaws fast too!

Thanks David. Yea I am real torn on what to do. It made great jerky and the capacity is amazing. Cleanup on the non stick racks was very easy as well. So much easier than the old Nescor racks. On the downside if it actually hit temps processing would be faster and perhaps safer although with cure I'm not really concerned with the longer lower temps. The lack of customer service center concerns me probably the most of all. So far several days later and not response from their help desk system.

That's a hard decision, so many good points , and a couple on the negative. But the big one is lack of customer service. Especially if something big really happens , like it just does not turn on one day , or what ever.

If they just got in touch , you would have a better feel for them , but it is turning to a big negative with them not responding

Sorry to hear this .

David

Reactions: jcam222
Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky