New cast iron pizza pan

Discussion in 'General Dutch Oven Information' started by woodcutter, May 6, 2014.

1. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Not a dutch oven but I'm still all excited about getting this pan for pizza and frying on the fire. A Wagner #14. It is 13 1/2 " on the bottom and weighs almost 9 lbs.

I just need to strip it and season.

2. darwin101

darwin101 Meat Mopper

Nice pan!  That one could feed a few hungry friends :)

3. woodcutter

Thank you! I just pulled it out of the oven from seasoning it today.

4. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice shine. How did you do it? Why did you strip it? Was it preseasoned?

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice pan for pie!

6. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have one of those..... traded a guy for a 1.75 L Black Velvet.... That was 25 years ago and I still think I got the better deal...

If you haven't already.... read about flax oil for seasoning.....

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  7. woodcutter

My brother and I just bought a friends collection of cast iron and split it up. The pan was seasoned but years and years ago. It was made in the 20's and had a red rust tint under the seasoning. I put it a lye bath scrubbed the gunk off and then put in 50/50 vinegar and water to neutralize the lye and remove the rust. I gave it a light going over with steel wool and 3 coats of flax seed oil at 500°. I've redone around 30 pans recently and have more to go.

8. woodcutter

That is why I bought it. Thanks Case!

9. woodcutter

Dave, I'll bet that Black Velvet isn't around any more. Look it up on Ebay sometime and I think you will be shocked at what some of those big pans are going for.

10. Flax Oil seasoning  Great way to go, but I cleaned the old pans by running them through the cleaning cycle in my oven.  Took my shop vac to clean the oven. 

11. woodcutter

I found a very old muffin/gem pan last week that is pitted. I'm going to set up an electrolysis tank and see how it performs.

12. dirtsailor2003

Another great find! The electrolysis tanks work great. Get yourself a tub with a lid so you can keep the solution for use again.

13. woodcutter

Finished my waffle iron and tried it this morning. Great crispy on the outside and soft in the middle waffles.

The waffle iron rinsed off in the sink with a paper towel, the glass top stove is going to need a little scrubbing when it cools.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  14. dirtsailor2003

Looks great!

15. woodcutter

No pizza yet but I got to use my big pan fro supper tonight. Chuck steak, bell and onions.

I noticed I needed to run the heat a little higher.

16. atomicsmoke

I decided to re-season my cast iron pans. They are in the oven on self cleaning cycle to burn the old gunk off. How long would that take?

17. woodcutter

It depends on how much built up seasoning is on them. Normally 1 time through the cleaning cycle pretty well cleans everything off.

18. atomicsmoke

I Went for 2.5h. Default cycle was 3.5. Pans were cleaned to bare metal.

They are in the oven now with flaxseed coating. 1st run.

19. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WOW....... that pan looks like it just came out of the shot blaster..... amazing.....

20. atomicsmoke

Thank God someone approves of my little projects. I got a lecture from my wife for running the the self cleaning cycle with > 85F temp outside. And I thought I was smart for making use of low electricity rates (holiday today in Canada).