Nepas Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
SS for this week

Adjust anything to your taste.

This SS recipe i use allot.
For 5 lbs. You can use any combo of meat you like. This recipe I use 4 lbs of 85/15 gb and 1 lb ground pork.
2.5 T salt (non iodized)
1 level tsp cure 1
4 t dry mustard (packed) i like Colemans
1.5 tsp ground black pepper or to your taste.
1.5 tsp mustard seed
2.5 tsp paprika (you can use smoked)
2.5 tsp garlic granules
1.5 tsp ground coriander (packed)
1/4 cup nfpdm. Note: if its a course grain you should put it in something to make finer. 1/4 cup fermento. Note: You can use Saco buttermilk powder, its the same as fermento
1 Tbsp clear Karo
3/4 cup cold distilled water.
Fibrous casings 4‐5 depending on diameter.
nepss.png

‐ Place stuffed casings in smoker at 130* for 2 hours with no smoke, this is the time to dry the casing so the casing and sausage can later take on smoke.
‐ Turn smoker up to 140 smoke for 4 hours with a light, moderate or heavy smoke(whatever you prefer). You want a slow rise in heat. If you smoke to hot you will not get the right results. Then bump the heat in 10* raise until your close to IT. If needed pump to 170° for another hour – you can continue to smoke or not at this point.
‐ 170 and continue to cook until the internal meat chub temperature is at least 151
‐ Once you reach your internal temp, it is time for an ice water bath to rapidly bring down the meat temp and this will also help prevent wrinkly casings on the summer sausage. After the ice water bath hang at room temp for a couple of hours and then it can be refrigerated overnight.

I've never made any type of sausage before but that's pretty straight forward.I just might have try my hand at sausage making,I just need the stuffer attachment for the KitchehAid.

I was just reading reviews on the kitchenaid attachment...not so good.
For Summer sausage I would get a dedicated Stuffer. I just picked up another Enterprise 4 quart with all the accessories for 50 bucks. Made in USA not China. The jerky gun works but the spout is to short . It works great for snack sticks though. Look around on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace and or Fleabay and you can find anything with a little patience.. And great looking SS SWL !!

Looks perfect! Big like!
[/QUOTE fresh garlic instead and encapsulated citric acid is an option at times , yet good looking balance of spices . I weigh my ingredients but you found it nice your way..looks fine

Prob wont hurt nothing but you might get a funky taste with both.

Try it.

Thank you. I will next time, I just did 2 #10 batches, 1 with flc and was thinking about it.
Give the FLC enough time to properly ferment.

This might help

Low fermentation temperature (<25º C, 77º F) results in a traditional acidification profile whereas high fermentation temperature (35-45º C, 95-115º F) gives a US style product. Not recommend using F-LC as for low temperature fermentation, but rather for those people that what the added Listeria protection at higher fermentation temperatures making more American style fermented sausages. Recommend the use of B-LC-007 for low temperature fermentation (64ºF-75ºF) for the production of more authentically profiled European fermented sausages

Reactions: crazymoon
Summer sausage looks about perfect...thanks for sharing the recipe!

I will definitely give this recipe a try in one of my upcoming batches.

Thanks for the recipe! I'd like to give this recipe a shot next week with some venison and pork mix instead of ground beef and pork.

The venison is very close to 100% lean - all fat was trimmed off of it. We plan to use ground pork from Costco - the fat content in the pork is about 15%. What ratio of pork to venison would you recommend using?

I have tried sourcing pork trim in the past, but the results are inconsistent - last time we got pork trim, it was 90% fat and 10% meat, so I'd like to stay away from that this time.
Other option is getting pork butts or shoulders instead of the ground pork from Costco.

For a 25# batch, what adjustments to the recipe are recommended? Multiply all ingredients by 5 since the recipe is a 5# batch?

EDIT: most of the ingredients are available locally, except I can't find clear Karo (can find clear Crown corn syrup though) and nfpdm - I assume this is powdered milk substitute? Local options are soy milk powder, whey powder. Are there any other substitutes? I will avoid the instant dry milk powders.

Thanks!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky