Need Someone who has made the Spicy creamy slaw from the book Smoking Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwood

Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Hey all. My friend made us the spicy slaw from Smoking Meat pg 184. It was killer. Bought the book and have made it twice and it has been almost inedible due to the high amount of cumin flavour. I checked and double checked the amount and it calls for 2 Tablespoons. Has anyone else had this issue?
I’m wondering if there are different cumin strengths or something?

Never made it but Cumin, Clove and Saffron are all strong spices. Try just adding 1-2 teaspoons of Cumin and go from there...JJ

Also... Have you talked to your friend who made the first "killer" batch and compare the recipes... maybe the friend already cut it back from original...
Yes he followed same recipe. I made my own batch. Bad. My son made a batch. Bad. Checked with buddy to see if he had a different edition or print etc. 2 Tablespoons.

Probably a typo. I love cumin but can't imagine using 2 tbls in a slaw recipe unless it was for one using 3-5 heads of cabbage!
Yes, maybe he got lucky and read it as tsp. Would love to hear from someone that has the book and has made it.

Agree with bregent and everyone else...I would dial the cumin back. Try 2 tsps. as suggested, maybe your friend accidentally used tsps. instead of tbsps. I know I have made that mistake before.....

Reactions: chilerelleno
Unlike some others, I'm NOT a big fan of cumin. But call me weird, I don't like Mexican food, either. In recipes calling for it, I use it very sparingly. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what it calls for if not less...

Reactions: Retired Spook
20210204_205102.jpg

Is it possible he made the top recipe and not made the spicy one by adding the spices from bottom one?

Ryan

Unlike some others, I'm NOT a big fan of cumin. But call me weird, I don't like Mexican food, either. In recipes calling for it, I use it very sparingly. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what it calls for if not less...
I'm like you... not that I don't like cumin but it is overwhelming for us so if called for in a recipe I always back the amount down. And yes, you are weird! :emoji_blush: No I'm just messing with ya! Really like mexican food, but everyone has there own likes and dislikes.

Ryan

I'm like you... not that I don't like cumin but it is overwhelming for us so if called for in a recipe I always back the amount down. And yes, you are weird! :emoji_blush: No I'm just messing with ya! Really like mexican food, but everyone has there own likes and dislikes.

Ryan
For me, the thing with most Mexican, once I get beyond the appearance of things such as guacamole and refried beans, is the spices. Some of them, and the combination of some of them, just don't tickle my taste buds. But hey, they say your tastes changes every 7 years so there may be hope for me one day.....

Reactions: Brokenhandle
For me, the thing with most Mexican, once I get beyond the appearance of things such as guacamole and refried beans, is the spices. Some of them, and the combination of some of them, just don't tickle my taste buds. But hey, they say your tastes changes every 7 years so there may be hope for me one day.....
I love all things mexican....and Cumin is a fav but its very powerful. That slaw, pictured above is a really good combo with pulled pork but does not come across as mexican. It's just so strange to have had it, loved it, then have it be so polar opposite. I reached out to the author on his web site to ask the question because I am bound and bent I am gonna get to the bottom of it. :-) I think it was a typo and my buddy got lucky with reading it as t.

Dang I guess I was wrong again, I thought it was just "Jeff Philips" but that doesn't show up in search. Sorry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky